64-bit OS vs 32-bit OS

Reaction score
Is there any way to revert a 64-bit OS to 32-bit OS? My applications/database need 32-bit OS and installation is not possible on 64-bit.

Reaction score
What application are you talking about? Most 32 bit applications work with W7 64 Bit. I have only seen one that will not work with my 64 bit machine. Have you tried running the program in XP compatibility mode under properties for the exe file for the program

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes, you can do a complete reinstall of everything to the 32-bit W7 ... but as Sarge suggested you would do best to try harder to get that application to work before you give up on the benefits of 64-bit.

If your application is so old that it is a 16-bit app (which cannot run in native 64-bit) then it's time to consider upgrading. Another possibility is to run it in a Virtual XP environment.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
day2905, welcome to the forum! What version of Windows 7 64 bit do you have? If by chance you have Pro or Ulitmate, you automatically qualify for Windows Virtual PC w/XP Mode. It's a XP Pro SP3 virtual machine that's easy to run & maintain. It's used by many to run software/hardware that won't either run/work in a 64 bit environment or Win 7 altogether.

64 bit is today's gold standard of computing, the only new 32 bit computers sold today (on the retail market) are those on netbooks. It runs quite well, even on lower spec computers (see my specs, esp my CPU). It also enables you to multi task easier, too.

You should explore all other possibilities before downgrading, you won't regret it. When Win 7 was first released, there were several new threads created daily on this issue (32 vs 64 bit, & vice versa). So many that the majority of them could have been grouped together as one huge thread, as most were duplicates of others. That trend has slowed almost to a crawl, and I'm glad.

If you could provide us with a list of your software that you use, there may be alternatives suggested to you. It's your choice, but giving up 64 bit is a huge step backwards. We're here to help.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Ask a Question