SOLVED 64 bit in question

Reaction score
I am sure it is in a post somewhere but I am going to ask anyway.I am upgradeing to windows 7 and right now am running 32 bit vista home prem. My processer is 64 capable but the motherboard only supports 2 gb ram, I know this meets system requirements but will the window 7 run slow if I run a memory intense game? I keep reading about win 7 and 3 gb ram, is it that important? If so it would be problamatis just to stick with 32 bit. "One more thing" will ready boost be any help [8gb but only 4 gb used naturally] ?
thanks

Reaction score
Hi Dogwart - Welcome to w7forums :ciao:

I'm not a gamer so I really can't answer your question on that side of the stick. However for a standard PC user with regular Office applications and Internet browsing, I have 2GB memory and have not seen my memory usage above 1.2GB. If you look to the left under my name, check my computer specs and you will see I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Here is a thread related to the Ready Boost question you have - https://www.w7forums.com/readyboost-t542.html

Reaction score
There are no performance advantages or disadvantages for going to 64-bit with your system, but you'll have the ideal version of the OS for a computer you have down the line that WILL need 64-bit to get maximum performance.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I am not a big gamer either and so I cannot say how great an effect it will have on games but, your situation is still definitely the perfect candidate for ready boost regardless of whether you go 32- or 64-bit install.

NOTE: It is my understanding that if the game specs require 3GB that having 2GB plus any size ready boost will NOT satisfy the requirements but, this does not seem to be your issue.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Games need at least 4GB RAM; Just Cause 2 needs 3GB for itself, Metro 2033 needs 8GB; I put in 8GB DDR3 1333MHz Kingston 9-9-9 for this reason. I wouldn't run x64 7 with less than 4GB. 2GB isn't enough.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Games need at least 4GB RAM [...] 2GB isn't enough.
False.
I play Modern Warfare with 2GB, and without any problems. For games, the real important part is the graphics.

2GB IS enough. Though, it is the minimum you should put in when on a 64bit OS. 3GB is what's recommended.

If you have 2GB on RAM, you CAN run 32bit Windows, or 64bit Windows, but that depends on if the processor is 64bit compatible.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Reaction score
False.
I play Modern Warfare with 2GB, and without any problems. For games, the real important part is the graphics.

2GB IS enough. Though, it is the minimum you should put in when on a 64bit OS. 3GB is what's recommended.

If you have 2GB on RAM, you CAN run 32bit Windows, or 64bit Windows, but that depends on if the processor is 64bit compatible.

Cheers,
Fire Cat
That's a weak console port that any modern GPU can smash with ease. Have you tried Metro 2033?

Reaction score
Thanks to all especially Pyro Kitty--fire cat---. My processer is pentium 4 3ghz and video card is an ATI Radeon HD 4670 512mb gddr 3 ,PCI-e. The most graphically intense game I have is Crysis and it runns it fairly well at fairly high settings. If windows 7 64 bit with 2gb ram [ again max for my pc] then I am sold -even tho I am already leaning that way. also thanks to ak762 for your honest opinion

Reaction score
Thanks to all especially Pyro Kitty--fire cat---. My processer is pentium 4 3ghz and video card is an ATI Radeon HD 4670 512mb gddr 3 ,PCI-e. The most graphically intense game I have is Crysis and it runns it fairly well at fairly high settings. If windows 7 64 bit with 2gb ram [ again max for my pc] then I am sold -even tho I am already leaning that way. also thanks to ak762 for your honest opinion
A Pentium 4 won't cut it - an Athlon x2 250 is twice as fast, but isn't suitable for games. You need a fast modern dual core minimum.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Dogwart, welcome to the forum! My desktop that I bought last November (see the specs) had 2GB RAM out of the box, running 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium. As far as the desktop went, everything was fine. No BSOD's, either. My main reason(s) for upgrading to 4GB were for loading videos faster (which worked) and to prepare for future changes. At some point, 32 bit computing is going to be kicked to the curb, not anytime soon, but it will happen. I have a laptop that has 2GB RAM (it's max), but it's 32 bit. But it does run fine, I can run my main OS and a VM at the same time. Naturally, they both do run at the same time (they have to), but what I mean is that I can be actively using the host and guest, switching between the two. My point is that 2GB RAM can do a lot, more than many users think.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
A Pentium 4 won't cut it - an Athlon x2 250 is twice as fast, but isn't suitable for games. You need a fast modern dual core minimum.
I once had Windows 7 Pro running on a Pentium 4 processor, it wasn't the fastest by any means. But it was running decently, being that the laptop was seven years old (a Latitude C640). However, I'm not into gaming, so I'll never know how it would do. It did only have 1GB RAM (it's max).

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Thanks for that info Cat, I'm wondering now how low could someone go with a PCs spec and still run Windows 7 ?

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that info Cat, I'm wondering now how low could someone go with a PCs spec and still run Windows 7 ?
I have an Intel Atom with 1GB RAM, and windows 7 runs fast and efficiently on that, even with aero enabled.

Have a look at my specs.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
There was a member here who installed 7 on a computer that was three years older than that laptop was. An early model Optiplex, as I remember, with a Pentium III processor. I believe the member is a hobbyist, as I am with OS's. I have a Windows 3.11 disc, you need no key, but I can't get it to boot within a VM to run. Someday, I'll figure it out.

Reaction score
Well Guys I thank you again for the input. I just installed W7 64bit and according to the rateing system my processer took a hit from 4.2 to 4.1 but my graphics went from 5.7 to 6.9 which I was impressed with. I had Doom 3 on the seagate 500 gi external drive and out of curosity started it up and sure enough it ran and ran better than I remember, So again Thanks. Now I just have to get it back up to speed with antivirus and such.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Cat, I have a IBM PS 433DX sitting here in the corner and if I put the HDs back in it and reassemble it you could run 3.1 on it, but you need to find a very old vga monitor, one I had burned out. Maybe a newer one would work if you drill out the rubber or break off the one pin in the vga connection because it uses a 5-1B3-5 pattern, not 5-5-5 (where B is blocked). I didn't know if it would work to drill out and I wasn't willing to ruin a vga cable to break a pin off, nor am I willing to risk a monitor on trying.

Currently the HDs are formatted for 95 and compressed with drivespace so I am trying to find a way to get some pictures off of it. We used it for old games that run too fast on current machines, even under DOSBOX I couldn't seem to set it slow enough.

If you want it you pay shipping and first I have to access the HDs. I haven't been pushing hard on getting that done so could be a little while. But if you want it let me know and I can tell you when it's available.

It has a 3.5" in disk drive but I might be able to scare up a 5.25" if you really want to go old school :p

Dogwart, glad it's working for you ... and I doubt that tenth of a point will matter much.

Last edited:

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Trainableman, to access the photos on your HD, just put it in an other computer, or use a Linux LiveCD.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I was trying to figure how to run it within a VM, if I can't, it's no problem. I was just curious as to what it would look like on something modern. Working with various OS's (new & old) is my hobby, I have the last four generations of Windows (2K - present) set as dual boot on my laptop, with VM's in all but 2K. A lot of data for a 100GB (93GB usable) laptop. It's been formatted countless times, but still kicking. I'm going to add an pocket backup drive to it tomorrow for more drive space.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
FC, The problem is that drivespace hasn't been supported since 95. I downloaded a 95 boot which I popped onto a 3.5 floppy but I know 95 couldnt read HDs over 2GB and then only FAT16 so I'm afraid to try it. What I need to do is pull my 1TB HD so I am absolutely SURE it won't touch it and I will actually plug in the old HDs and try to boot, just not sure how the hardware will work with 95 not having a clue how to get drivers (and the fact drivers don't exist).

Catilley, I wonder if the 2GB and FAT16 would be issues for your VM. You can probably limit the size allocated to 2GB but will it simulate FAT16 format?

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Cat, have you tried ripping an iso of the install CD? That should work better than to virtualize the real DVD Drive.

By the way, how much space does a clean Windows 2K take?

Ask a Question