SOLVED 64 bit in question

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Cat, have you tried ripping an iso of the install CD? That should work better than to virtualize the real DVD Drive.

By the way, how much space does a clean Windows 2K take?
No, I haven't tried that, although it was downloaded to me.

As far as a clean install of Win 2K goes, 10GB is plenty. I have more programs on 2K than any other install that I have (the screen is loaded with shortcuts). And most are good programs, too. Avast 5.0 is my AV. With everything on it, I have 5.01GB out of 10GB free. But one thing that saves disc space with 2K is this, when you download and install a service pack, you have the choice to archive or not archive your files. Archiving takes a lot more space. From XP forward, you don't have this choice, the SP installs as it wants.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes.

I had a problem some time ago with my DVD Drive and Virtual PC. I tried virtualizing the drive, but somehow, the virtualisation loaded the files incorrectly.
I then tried ripping the DVD using AnyDVD and that solved it.

5GB for 2K? I was actually wondering if I could install Windows 2K on a USB Thumb Drive but that is too much for my simple 4GB drive.
I wanted it as a bootable USB Drive that I could use when having problems with windows.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Yes.

I had a problem some time ago with my DVD Drive and Virtual PC. I tried virtualizing the drive, but somehow, the virtualisation loaded the files incorrectly.
I then tried ripping the DVD using AnyDVD and that solved it.

5GB for 2K? I was actually wondering if I could install Windows 2K on a USB Thumb Drive but that is too much for my simple 4GB drive.
I wanted it as a bootable USB Drive that I could use when having problems with windows.
You could try an 8GB drive, that will be plenty for Win 2K. It may install on 4GB, but space would be too tight to add programs. As I've said, 2K has more installed programs than any other Windows OS that I run, and I run 9 windows versions (not counting 2K).

The main thing that you'll first have to do upon the install is update your browser from IE 5.5 to IE6 SP1. Then you can search for your other updates. Remember, if you do this, select NOT to archive your files, as this will take a lot more space, and you don't want to waste a ton of space on an OS that's losing support this year. Speaking of which, if you want it, you need to act soon. Sometime in July or August, it's being dropped. It's still a decent OS, the one that paved the way for XP. However, some programs won't install on it any more, but you can use Avast 5.0 for your AV, and Malwarebytes will run on it, too. As well as the latest version of Firefox.

I'm going to try that Flash drive install myself, I happen to have a 8GB one around.

Cat

Last edited:

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Cat!

Actualy, on second thoughts, I think I'll stick Ultimate Boot CD / BartPE and Linux Live CD. Leaves more space than a full featured OS.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Cat - You're getting to be quite the Windows Guru here!

Get a TechNet subscription and next thing we know... Cat's Computer Shop is now open! LOL!

Appreciate all your good help and suggestions!

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
One last lesson before school is out. :lol:
Cat's gotta build his own PC. :D

I think he is ready. :)
Oh YEAH! However, we're gonna need a video also, along with photos posted here of each stage of the build. :pcguru: :hmmmm2:

I'll bet that Fire Cat would be interested in this one! He could be the video guy. :top:

Plus I bet that Cat makes a mean North Carolina Pulled Pork Barbecue! Don't forget the sweet slaw too! :eating:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'm ready, but my money's not. But within a couple of years, I may be ready to do it. There's one last upgrade that I want to do here first, c_c told me about this long device that supports up to five eSATA devices. I plan to get that, along with the cable to connect it, near years end. And a couple of drive cases with eSATA inputs. I figure that two drives mounted externally beats one internal drive & two USB ones. That way, I don't have to keep removing my drive when I want to install something on the other. I don't see bottlenecking to be a problem, since I'll only run one at a time anyway.

Reaction score
hello people , i want to customise a HP dv7t , for 3D animation , do u think is good for Animation.

* Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

* Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-540M Dual Core processor (2.53GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 3.06GHz

* 6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)

* 500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection

* 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5650 switchable graphics [HDMI, VGA] - For Dual Core Processors

* 17.3" diagonal HD+ High-Definition HP LED BrightView Widescreen Display (1600 x 900)

* SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support

* HP TrueVision Webcam and Fingerprint Reader

• Intel Wireless-N Card

• 9 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (over-sized)
  • System Recovery DVD with Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
  • Microsoft(R) Office Starter 2010
  • No additional security software
  • HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

• Intel Wireless-N Card

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
For a laptop it is a good unit. But realize, for cad/cam and animation design work a desktop can always be built to out-perform. Desktops don't have as limiting power and heat constraints so you can get quad, 6, even 12 core processors that run at higher bus speeds.

Ask a Question