64 bit converstion to 32 bits

Reaction score
i have received a workshop manual on audi a8 on dvd. it requires a 32 bit to operate and not a 64 bit. is it ok if i want to convert to 32 bit and will it affect any other programs on my laptop. laptop came out with windows 7 home basic already loaded.and my last question is, is their no way other than to download the 32 bit version, as it almost took 10 hours to download.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Hello mikekruger!

I assume you're trying to download a manual for an automobile, correct?

Is it in PDF format? You've marked this solved, has it been?

The information you have given in your post is extremely confusing to say the least!

Give us more info please.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
it requires a 32 bit speed and i tried to download it but to wait for 10 hours is ridicilious.
Your thread title seems to indicate you wish to convert from 64-bit to 32-bit. First off 32-bit is not a speed; it has to do with how big the instruction blocks are that are used in the CPU.

And almost any program that is designed for 32-bits will run on a 64-bit machine. As for your file transfer rate, that is controlled by how fast your internet connection is and it can also be limited by the server supplying the information; it has very little to do with how fast your computer is and has nothing to do with whether the computer is 32 or 64 bit.

You can often buy CDs/DVDs but still they have to be shipped to you. Your best bet is probably to use a download manager and to let it download overnight while you sleep.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
From his title and his OP, he doesn't really state what he want.

Apparently English is not his primary language. As you well know TM, it makes NO difference whether or not the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 7 is installed as there is no affect on the download speed.

Reaction score
i am a bit stupid with computers and battle to understand all the terms. according to the sender of the dvd's i received the program will only operate on a 32 bit system. is their perhaps any other alternatives that you can recommend? Mike

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Normally the only reason a program will not work in 64-bit is because in actuality it is a very old 16-bit program (32-bit runs 16 or 32-bit programs while 64-bit runs 32 or 64-bit programs) This may be the case of your software.

Retail versions of W7 come with both 32 and 64 bit DVDs but if your system came preinstalled then I am afraid downloading it or borrowing the DVD of a friend (but then using your key) are the only options.

Another possibility, besides reinstalling with the 32-bit OS, would be to create a virtual 32-bit machine under your 64-bit OS. But your 2gb of memory and celeron cpu might not be powerful enough to run the virtual environment very well; plus you would need XP disks to install in the free virtual engines or you would have to upgrade to W7 Professional to get it's Virtual PC - XP mode.

Be sure to make note of your Product Keys before you reinstall. Also you will need to back up all your data. And you will need 32-bit drivers (most will be found automatically but if you can download them ahead of time it might be helpful). Also you will need all the program disks to reinstall them; this includes any programs that came preinstalled on the computer but are not part of the W7 OS (such as Acer software, onscreen volume displays, touchpad controls, trial programs, etc); if you can't find these on the Acer site then you may need to find replacements or do without.

Last edited:

Ask a Question