64 and 32 bit on the same media?

Reaction score
Okay, I just installed Windows 7 last night. Granted I went through the installation pretty quick so I didn't pay too close attention but I don't recall it asking me if I wanted to do 64 or 32 bit. It installed 32 bit and I need 64 bit.

The thing is my copy was a free copy from a lauch event in Chicago I got last Saturday. I doubt that this is the issue because Microsoft has never been stingy with developers at launch events.

So my question is did I miss the prompt or am I just stuck with 32 bit?

Thanks.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It sounds like you were given the 32 bit media only. At some point in the future, Microsoft will no doubt have a media purchase option on their website where you can order the x64 version for a small fee (like they did with Vista).

You could try giving MS a call and see if they will send the x64 version over to you, as the serial # is the same for both.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
From what I have read elsewhere, only the 32bit version was given out at various launch events.

You could get a copy of the 64bit version via a download and use the same key, since all retail versions come with both discs of 32bit and 64bit. The same key is used for both.

Ask a Question