Will 32 bit and 64 bit Win7 work on same CPU?

Reaction score
I run a small engineering and training company and I need a fast (core i7 fast) computer to run some 32 bit engineering applications that I teach for a class. Because the class is often taught at a customer's site, I want to use a notebook computer. My problem is that all of the core i7 notebooks I find online come with 64 bit Windows pre-installed. My question is, can I install 32 bit Win 7 on a 64 bit cpu? Also, it is possible to have a duel boot system with both 32 bit and 64 bit Win 7? Thanks,

Mark

Reaction score
Hi mjlaris - Welcome to w7forums

My question is, can I install 32 bit Win 7 on a 64 bit cpu?
Yes, this has been done for many years and people didn't realize it.

Also, it is possible to have a duel boot system with both 32 bit and 64 bit Win 7?
Yes, you will need to purchase a new license for the second version installed. One license for each version of Windows in use.

Before you do all of this, I must ask why you are needing the 32-Bit version?
You may want to try the applications out before going the extra expense.
The 64-Bit version will run just about all 32-Bit applications.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
c_c is correct! Nearly all the 32 bit software will run on Windows 64 bit systems.

Reaction score
Hi mjlaris - Welcome to w7forums

Yes, this has been done for many years and people didn't realize it.

Yes, you will need to purchase a new license for the second version installed. One license for each version of Windows in use.

Before you do all of this, I must ask why you are needing the 32-Bit version?
You may want to try the applications out before going the extra expense.
The 64-Bit version will run just about all 32-Bit applications.

Would it be accurate to say that "ALL" 64 bit processors are capable of running a 32 or 64 bit version? Or are there exceptions?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Would it be accurate to say that "ALL" 64 bit processors are capable of running a 32 or 64 bit version? Or are there exceptions?
If there is a 64-Bit processor that will not run a 32-Bit OS, I am not aware of it. I won't lie to you and tell you I know for certain. If you think about it DOS can still be installed and it is a 16-Bit OS.

Reaction score
Thanks clifford, I was curious because if you look up the processors on intel's site, they don't say if the processors are 32 bit capable or not, they just indicate that it's 64 bit.

Reaction score
Thanks, clifford_cooley. As for why I need 32 bit, I need to run a virtual VMS enviroment and it will not run under a 32 bit OS; I've tried.

Mark

Ask a Question