32 bit to 64 bit

Reaction score
I currently have a student OEM version of Windows 7 installed. The only disc I have is 32 bit. I would like to install the 64 bit. Will the key I currently have work with the 64 bit iso download?

Reaction score
I currently have a student OEM version of Windows 7 installed. The only disc I have is 32 bit. I would like to install the 64 bit. Will the key I currently have work with the 64 bit iso download?
Yes it will. :)

Reaction score
I hope this is truly the case. I called microsoft help a couple of times, and always got a different answer. The last person I talked to said I would have to purchase the retail version, or buy another student copy for 64 bit, because the key was only for that 32bit version, which would be hard, not being a student anymore!
I am going to try the download and hope for the best. I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything that I shouldn't! :)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You must install the exact same version to use the same key. Example: Home Premium 32 to Home Premium 64 but the key should work.

Reaction score
Yeah, I plan on doing the pro, which is what I have, but when you say EXACT same version, thats what I wonder about, because it is a student version. I don't think anything is different about it, just that the disc says OEM and student on it. Also, now that I'm looking at it, apparently it is an upgrade version, so hopefully I can do a clean install and still use the same key.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes, then it has to be the Professional version and because you have an upgrade key you may have to install twice to get it to activate or you can try one of the 3 options available HERE (The author is rather long-winded but the information you need is down under Method #1, 2, and 3).

Reaction score
Woo hoo, successful installation and I'm up and running on 64 bit. I didn't even have to do a double install or anything, it just acted like an upgrade bascially, and worked just fine. Thanks for the help everyone!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Now it's a good idea to protect yourself with a good active antivirus. And we strongly encourage you to make and keep an external backup along with making regularly scheduled backups. A backup right now (an image would be ideal) would be in case you ever need to reinstall fresh and then regularly scheduled backups to protect your data in case of HD failure, viruses, or theft.

Glad it worked as it should :)

Ask a Question