32 bit browsers not working

Reaction score
Please please help...new laptop with WIndows 7 was browsing fine until recently, now none of the 32 bit browsers I need to use (FF, GC IE) are working, giving a standard error 105 or 'server not found' error message but IE 64 bit is working.

At the same time also having problems updating spybot, defender and malwarebytes.

Cannot install avira but did manual updates on the other programs and a Trend Micro HouseCall scan, all reporting no major problems.

Tried the usual suggestion of opening in safe mode/creating shortcut for IE 32 bit, none of which makes any difference.

PLEASE HELP!

Reaction score
Have you just tried installing Defender on the laptop? I might be wrong but did not think defender was supported under Win 7.

Reaction score
it was already on, I was running AVG but unistalled it when experienced problems with it.

Should also add that I have checked the LAN settings for the browsers, all clicked to automatically detect...

Reaction score
Does Network and Sharing Center tell you that you are connected to the Internet? Have you installed any Adobe products recently that installed the Bonjour Service? If you see more than 1 active network, disable the one that you don't recognize. Click on 'change adapter settings' to make sure your adapter is enabled. Unplug your cable modem or DSL modem and your router (if any). Plug in your modem and wait for steady lights then plug in your router. Open a command prompt and type ipconfig /release and hit enter then type ipconfig /renew and hit enter.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Also, one other thing, can you recover your system using System Restore? Try that and the above mentioned posts first. It's possible you may need to do a reinstall here. It's not hard to do.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Do as Roban suggests, rebooting the modem and router, if any, should help.

Also if you do use a router, be sure you have the latest firmware installed too.

Sometimes an uninstall and reinstall of the PCs network adapter helps too. Also, check to be sure you have the latest driver for the adapter.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Have you just tried installing Defender on the laptop? I might be wrong but did not think defender was supported under Win 7.
Defender ships with Windows 7, but if you install MSE as your AV, it will be deactivated. So if you buy a new PC and don't want the crap demo AV that came with it, you can remove the AV and still have some protection until you get another AV, which should be soon after you remove the old (crapware) one.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Looks like the OP has vamoosed! Hasn't replied to anyones suggestions, either it got fixed or the system has gone completely bonkers.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Frustrating ain't it?
Patience Grasshopper! Patience works both ways. It may be the middle of the night where he lives. Or he may have a job, family emergency, or other commitments. I mean gee whiz - it has been less than 24 hours since he last responded. :(

There are many posters who "bump" a thread if no response has come in 60 minutes - most don't understand responders are volunteers with real-world responsibilities. It works both ways. We must not assume posters are sitting there waiting for a response, and able to immediately reply.

Ask a Question