2 partitions missing

Reaction score
One of my HD's is only half-seen by 7- two partitions are absent. Oh, they're on Computer management, but no letter and not listed.
Any way I can get 7 to see the missing partitions ? When I go back to Vista, they're all present and correct !

Reaction score
Right click on the partitions in disk management, hit "change drive letters and path," then assign a drive letter.

Reaction score
Right click on the partitions in disk management, hit "change drive letters and path," then assign a drive letter.
No - tried that already, doesn't work. Only "Format" is an option. Needless to say, I'm not going to do that.
Another HD has a partition missing too.
(I have 3 - all partitioned)

Reaction score
That's bizarre as hell. Can you post a screencap of your disk management MMC snapin, please? :)

Reaction score
I'm getting this (att) but no amount of "refreshing" or restarting is doing a blind bit of difference.

Actually, couple of other things - Windows Mail won't open (although that could be Avast which is on my Vista needs to be on 7 too) and the download speeds from the net are atrocious. A tenth what they are on Vista

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
Try using diskpart:

1. Start a CMD.EXE session as administrator.
  2. Type DISKPART and hit [enter].
  3. List your hard drives by typing list disk and hitting [enter].
  4. Once you have identified the hard drive with the partition that won't take a letter, type select disk # (where # is the disk number) and hit [enter].
  5. Now type list partition to show all the partitions on the disk, and press [enter].
  6. Identify the partition you want to give a letter to based on its capacity, then type select partition # (where # is the partition number) to select the partition and press [enter].
  7. Now you can give the partition a letter by typing assign letter=X (where X is your chosen volume letter) and pressing [enter].

Hopefully that will get you on track and nudge your MMC snapin in the right direction. I hope this helps.

Reaction score
Keeps saying "no volume specified please try again"
No matter how often I do it, it refuses to see it, even though its listed in cmd

Nope tried again and again, just refuses to do it.
Yet they're both there, quite happily on Vista

Last edited:
Reaction score
Can you post a screenshot of your command prompt when you get to the step where you try and assgin a letter?

Reaction score
Can you post a screenshot of your command prompt when you get to the step where you try and assgin a letter?
Will do
Also from the disk management thing
Lots of partitions, for a good reason, really !
Roman Names (apart from E: ) because I'm obsessed with Roman History - and E; isn't because I've always had an E: with that name, and wont change !

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
Instead of "select partition 1," try the command "select volume 1" and continue as my steps outline.

Reaction score
Instead of "select partition 1," try the command "select volume 1" and continue as my steps outline.
Thought it had worked, as it said it had - but logged off, rebooted, still the same.

Reaction score
Strangely, I went to put the new release candidate on, it apparently failed, went on the 7 that I was having problems with, it said it was updating and - bingo, everything there as should be.
No partitions missing
Weird, eh ?

Ask a Question