18 cool things Windows 7 does that Vista doesn't

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
There's an interesting article on TechRadar for those users that haven't tried Windows 7 and are still using Vista. It highlights some of the visual and application differences between the two (but not the performance benefits):

From Windows 3.1 to Windows Vista, the Windows operating system has taken many giant leaps. And while Vista received a lukewarm reception from some users, Windows 7 is likely to be remembered for addressing those criticisms.

In fact, there aren't many changes to the overall look of Windows 7 when compared to Windows Vista. Instead, Microsoft seems to have paid attention to the feedback it received and created an OS that is not only stable, but also very capable.

So what is new in Windows 7? Here are 18 cool things Windows 7 does that Vista doesn't.
You can read the whole thing here.

Reaction score
Pretty cool - Even as a Windows 7 User, I was not aware of these items.
  • 1. Shake 'em away
  • 10. A brand new Magnifier tool
  • 13. Stream Music directly to another computer

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The music streaming feature is really handy - if you have a recent console you can play media on that :) I'm using it to listen to MP3s on my PS3 in another room.

Reaction score
But this part reads a little bit overbearing:
techradar said:
15. Pin just about anything to the new Windows Taskbar
You can not pin a folder as separate icon - in the easy way - to the taskbar.
You can not pin a document by itself - in the easy way - to the taskbar.

But you can pin folder to taskbar and pin files to taskbar as separate icon.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Hm I had no idea about the built in ability to burn ISO's, that might come in handy.

But this part reads a little bit overbearing:

You can not pin a folder as separate icon - in the easy way - to the taskbar.
You can not pin a document by itself - in the easy way - to the taskbar.

But you can pin folder to taskbar and pin files to taskbar as separate icon.
You can if you enable the Quick Launch bar. I can put folders, network shortcuts, USB flash drives, my DVD drive, whatever I want into the Quick Launch toolbar.

Here's a guide to re-enable the quick launch bar: Link

Reaction score
Trash Can with Superbar vs Quick Launch

The "Trash Can" is an ugly folder when pinned to the super bar
The "Trash Can" large icon size does not match the "Super Bar" size when placed in the "Quick Launch Toolbar".

The small icons match quite well. The large icons do not. I finally decided to quit using the quick launch because of the problem matching the large icons. And if you plan to make a double row of icons, you will never get it to look right unless you use the small icons.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Clifford, you can always change the icons of whatever you pin to the quick launch bar by right-clicking and going to their properties panel. Regarding the size difference I think that's unavoidable, but since I use full text bars on the taskbar it still looks fine to me.

Reaction score
Clifford, you can always change the icons of whatever you pin to the quick launch bar by right-clicking and going to their properties panel.
Its the pinned Icon of the Recycle Bin that is a folder and can not be changed to a trash can.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Its the pinned Icon of the Recycle Bin that is a folder and can not be changed to a trash can.
Odd. I just dragged it to my quicklaunch and it shows up as an identical trashbin. The quick launch button even shows full when full, and shows an empty can when I clear it out. I also still have the ability to change the icon... not sure why you wouldn't. :dontknow:

Reaction score
Kougar are you talking about the quick launch toolbar or the Super Bar
The quick launch works fine, It's the superbar that doesnt show the trash can when pinned

If you are showing a trash can when you pin the recycle bin to the super bar then there is a problem on my PC.

Reaction score
"18 cool things Windows 7 does that Vista doesn't "

Actually there's one more cool thing Windows 7 does that Vista doesn't.....It Works! :lol:

Reaction score
Hmm.. I want windows 7, but can't afford it... I'm gonna put it on my wish-list for x-mas :D

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Updates ... Windows 7 updates are a lot smoother then with XP or Vista and a lot faster also with many you don't have to reboot (and that can be a real pain when you have programs open and work in progress).

Reaction score
I'm coming from XP, skipped Vista(glad I did) and Win7 works great except for one nagging issue) but it over all is a masterpeice of an OS.

Reaction score
One thing cool W7 does is when you attach it to a network you can axcess all public folders on the network enless you go in and turn off the default sharing. plus the home gorup feature is sweet I can run programs form any one of my computer on my laptop and not have to worry about hardware compability

Ask a Question