0x0000003b BSOD issue

Reaction score
Hi, I'm having some issues with getting BSOD whenever I close/alt tab out of a full screen program. It also happened once when changing wallpapers using actual multiple monitors. I tested both of my RAM sticks and only one got an error, so I have it sitting in an open envelope ready to be sealed and shipped for a replacement, but I also got the BSOD with my other stick in by itself.

I want to rule out anything else besides the RAM. I'm still going to send in the RAM anyway since it got errors. But here are my specs.

Intel core i5-2500k 3.3GHz Quad core
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
MSI Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 910W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Edit: forgot to add, running on windows 7 ultimate.

Like I said earlier, I only have one of the ram sticks in because the other is in an open padded envelope ready to be sent out. Mini-dump and CPU-Z pictures attached.

Attachments

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well the very first thing is to rule out a virus. Best method is to run in safe mode as explained HERE.

Second, very important, you have not upgraded to Service Pack 1 so you want to run Windows Update and make sure you are up-to-date with SP1.

Also you have December 2012 ATI drivers from AMD which defaults to include Catalyst Control Center (CCC) which is known to cause BSODs on some machines. You might want to download (but not yet install) the latest driver from January 2013 or the Beta from February for your MSI Radeon HD 6870, then download and run the Catalyst uninstall tool, and finally install the latest driver but without the CCC.

If you get new BSODs after making sure you are virus-free and updating your video driver and upgrading to SP1 then post your new DMPs.

Reaction score
Alright, I updated my drivers and I know it isn't a virus, I did a few checks and the blue screen also happened after a fresh windows install too. Going to update to SP1 and we will see how it goes.

Also, I thought of something, could a faulty RAM slot do this? or no?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Bad RAM, improper RAM timings/voltage, a faulty motherboard can all cause problems. Did you retest after you removed the bad stick?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well once the replacement comes I would test again.

But SP1 and updated drivers/BIOS will hopefully fix the rest.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
DMP file says you haven't updated to Service Pack 1.

Reaction score
Thats odd, I made sure I did. :/ Lemme check it quick.

Yeah, windows update doesn't list any SP1 updates so I should have it. I'll just download it from windows itself I guess.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Minor Version 7600 in DMPs means no service pack 1.

Check your hidden updates and restore it
-or-

Download and install it from HERE

Be sure to get the correct version, most likely either windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe (for a 32-bit W7 machine) or windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe (for a 64-bit W7 machine).

Reaction score
Yeah I got the x64 version. Haven't completed the install because I have some things I need to do before I head back into town for 2 hours. I'll do the install process before I go, then test it when I get back.

Reaction score
Seems to be okay now. I'll just send in that one stick of ram and I'll post here again if any further problems arise. Thanks.

Ask a Question