Windows Easy Transfer - Discussion

Reaction score
There's only one problem. When backing up your "old" computer, you are able to back up to a CD. But when it's time to restore, no CD option exists.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
There's another problem, it doesn't transfer everything as described. For instance, my bookmarks from IE was there, but the rest of my programs weren't, I had to redownload them. But when I reinstalled Firefox, all of my bookmarks and settings were there as they were before the transfer. If it can do that, why didn't it bring all of my programs back? I carefully followed the instructions, created a password, transferred my Windows 7 install onto a external drive, after repartitioning my drive, I used the same password to transfer them back, after a few minutes, it said it was complete. What did I do wrong? Or was I expecting too much of the program? I was looking for everything to be the same as before the repartition.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I realize this is an old thread but since a new member dug it up I will add some additional information ...

WETs purpose is strictly to transfer personal data including user settings; it does not transfer programs. It is also a good idea to use the customize ... advanced options to verify it found all your data and that it isn't bringing extra information you do not want transferred..

Another important point is that WET can NOT be used to transfer from a 64-bit OS to a 32-bit OS, however 32 to 32, 64 to 64, and 32 to 64 are supported.

Reaction score
EASY TRANSFER WIZARD (Win7) is a failed program!

I have been struggling for a week to restore my valuable 'USMT2.unc' files that were saved on a backup 80GB (E: drive just before my main 'C:drive' and old computer came to a painful ending. I was aware of the (5 year old 'puter's) impending passing!).
A new HP desktop with pre-installed 'WIN 7 Ultimate' was purchased & fitted with the old IDE (E: drive (FAT32 files) to act as a spare, and which now holds the backup WinXP(SP3) data.

Using the default "Windows 7 Easy Transfer Wizard" accessory program while trying to recover my valuable (8GB) data has been totally unsuccessful. Using the box in the wizard named "external drive" I point to the "E:\Orig WINXP Data\USMT2.UNC\" folder and nothing happens!
The best solution appears in a post of 12/09 by "gartenhacke" using a "loadstate.exe" run command. Only problem is WHERE is loadstate application found and WHERE is it applied. I've tried most everything and still at a loss to return my XP files.
Also, why oh why can't M/Soft not provide an easy fix and solution to this very vexing problem. It appears their are thousand of users who have come to the same problem with no obvious solution - just a lot of dead-ends. Frustrated & disapointed; (e-mail address removed)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
From what I can find from searching, UNC is a file extension related to Windows Utility Files and Settings Transfer Wizard (from Windows XP apparently). However, the Windows Easy Transfer Wizard from Windows 7 uses a .MIG extension and I would assume is a completely different storage method. Microsoft does offer a version of Window Easy Transfer that can be installed and run on WinXP in order to create the MIG file and transfer it to a W7 machine. Unfortunately that won't help you; you will need a program designed to handle UNC files. You would probably need to restore your UNC files to a Windows XP machine or find some utility program that runs in W7 and understands UNC files.

Reaction score
TrainableMan;145319[COLOR=Gray said:
]From what I can find from searching, UNC is a file extension related to Windows Utility Files and Settings Transfer Wizard (from Windows XP apparently). However, the Windows Easy Transfer Wizard from Windows 7 uses a .MIG extension and I would assume is a completely different storage method. Microsoft does offer a version of Window Easy Transfer that can be installed and run on WinXP in order to create the MIG file and transfer it to a W7 machine. Unfortunately that won't help you; you will need a program designed to handle UNC files. You would probably need to restore your UNC files to a Windows XP machine or find some utility program that runs in W7 and understands UNC files.[/COLOR]
Thank you for the prompt and most sensible solution I have yet received. I have already planned to do what you suggest. As an aside. I had also backed up twice; (for a secondary insurance with my Norton utilities pgm.) Only problem was that program also had a glitch which won't allow a 'restore' unless backup was still on the original drive. Norton has yet to reply with a solution. Ben C

Reaction score
easy transfer came piggy back, I think on windows live dated 9-20-2010. I did not want but I can not delete it remove it with system restore tried install to remove it but it failed to install. it is protected by trusted installer. I know it is most likely wonderful but I sure would like to get rid of it, ant ideas.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Windows Easy Transfer comes as part of the OS (not Windows Live) in W7 & W8 & it can be downloaded & installed on XP & Vista.

robie1der, you might take a look at this thread in Microsoft Technet to see if it helps you do what you want but in general, from Vista on, it is part of the OS and not easily removed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am trying to use WET to transfer some contents of my old desktop which uses win 7 64bit os to my laptop which also uses win 7 64bit os. I have used it successfully in the past when i first bought the laptop...i am doing it again as i am getting ready to reinstall win 7 on my desktop due to losing an os file which prevents me from starting it up without using the repair disc which is a daily headache i would like to eliminate.
i hooked up the WET on both computers...no problem...the transfer connection took and scanned my desktop and gave me options on what i wanted to transfer..no problem. i selected what i wanted and WET indicated it was transferring 13GB of data...no problem. THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT THE PROGRESS BAR SHOWS ABOUT 10% PROGRESS AND THEN IT MAKES NO FURTHER PROGRESS!

I have tried it twice...same result. The transfer cable it clearly working...has a light indicator on it...so it isnt the cable i guess.

I am stumped. If anyone knows what might prevent it from actually transferring the files when it indicated it is doing so I would appreciate knowing how i can get it to complete the transfer. Thanks very much.:eek:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Bearcatjer, make sure you right-click on WET and choose "run as administrator" on both computers. See if that helps.

Ask a Question