SOLVED Easy Transfer Windows 7

Reaction score
Hi I currently use a PC with XP but am about to take delivery of a new PC running Windows 7. I have an easy transfer cable to transfer all my files from the old PC. My question is when I transfer from the old PC is it just a copy of everything goes to the new PC and all my files remain on the old machine as well or is everything transferred leaving none of the files on the old hard disk. I have read many posts on how to do it but none seem to give this answer. I ask as I am concerned on reading some posts that not everything gets transferred and I do not want to loose anything.

Thanks

Paddypup

Reaction score
The USMT (User State Migration Tool) can be very handy in the process of migrating your files and configuration from one old PC to a new one.

Check here for all the info:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd560801(v=ws.10).aspx

But this is a tool designed to facilitate the work of system admins, not exactly for a single user; why don't you just copy everything, check and double check if everything was copied correctly, and then wipe out the old disk?

Check this to safely erase files:

http://eraser.heidi.ie/

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Paddypup, When you transfer to a new machine the data is copied and still remains on the old machine too.

The easiest way to transfer from XP to W7 is by downloading Windows Easy Transfer. It provides a relatively simple menu system. Just be sure to click the advanced option so you can verify it is picking all your data.

USMT provides for scripting etc which might be great for a business environment but it is more than most basic users need and I would suspect is also more complicated/confusing.

Ask a Question