SOLVED Need help with Windows Easy Transfer

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I have Windows 7 installed on my laptop, along with a few other OS's. I had to shrink my XP Pro partition to make room for another OS. Windows 7 is beside of XP. What I tried to do was to move Windows 7 to the left, next to XP with GParted, but it didn't work. Can I use Windows Easy Transfer to save my programs on external drive, repartition and reinstall Windows 7, then reinstall my programs with Windows Easy Transfer? If anyone knows of another way to move my Windows 7 partition to the left without doing this, I'm open to any and all ideas.

Reaction score
Create an image of the partition and when restoring the partition from the image, move the partition to where you want it as well as adjusting the size.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Create an image of the partition and when restoring the partition from the image, move the partition to where you want it as well as adjusting the size.
That is what I should have done, I will do this next time. I had never used this Windows Easy Transfer, and wanted to see if it was really that easy, as the name implies. It transferred my files OK, my IE settings and quick links, but didn't transfer my installed programs nor Firefox, but when I redownloaded and reinstalled Firefox, my bookmarks and quick links were there. It fell short of my expectations, I was looking for everything to be the way it was before I did anything to the partition.

Ask a Question