XP Home SP 3 to Windows 7 with Easy Transfer

Reaction score
Have just upgraded from Windows XP Home with SP3 service pack to Win 7 using the easy transfer wizard in XP, took many hours to transfer to external Maxtor drive.

The files were stored in a folder called "USMT2.UNC" created by the wizard, the files within the folder are named "IMG0000A.dat through to IMG00012.dat"

The installation of Windows 7 went very well, BUT using the easy transfer wizard in Windows 7 will not open and run any files, I need some help please.

Many thanks in advance

Attachments

Reaction score
Hi there

Have you tried following the instructions as set out by Microsoft here - Windows 7 Upgrade and Migration

For transfering files from your USB to your windows 7 installtion...

Microsoft TechNet said:
Copy files to the destination computer

1. If you saved your files and settings in an Easy Transfer file on a removable media such as a UFD rather than on a network share, insert the removable media into the computer.
  2. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click Windows Easy Transfer.

The Windows Easy Transfer window opens.
  3. Click Next.
  4. Click An external hard disk or USB flash drive.
  5. Click This is my new computer.
  6. Click Yes, open the file.
  7. Browse to the location where the Easy Transfer file was saved. Click the file name, and then click Open.
  8. Click Transfer to transfer all files and settings. You can also determine which files should be migrated by selecting only the user profiles you want to transfer, or by clicking Customize.
  9. Click Close after Windows Easy Transfer has completed moving your files.
Hope this helps

Edit: Looks like Ian beat me to the post!

Reaction score
Hi Ian, thanks for quick reply, yes, you are right, I used the XP transfer wizard, the instructions with W7 just said to use the transfer wizard, I was not aware they were different files and I assume differing functions. Can I get around the problem (have yet to check link you gave) ?

Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks again to you for quick reply, I did transfer using option of external drive or USB flash drive , I used external Maxtor hard drive.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not sure if there is a simply way to do this, you could either install XP (either on another PC, dual boot or virtualised) and then import your data using the XP transfer wizard. Once that is complete you could then use the link above to use the Windows 7 transfer wizard to make a W7 compatible backup. It's not ideal though :(

If you want to try and extract files manually you can use FastConv, which is explained at this URL : http://windowsxp.mvps.org/fast.htm. That would be a very time consuming and difficult way to do it though, but perhaps useful as a last resort.

Reaction score
Hi Ian,
I have just reread the instructions with W7 install, it does have a link to download W7 version of Easy Transfer wizard, BUT it does not say if XP / W7 version are the same or incompatible with each other.

I am not happy to round and round the mullberry bush to use another PC etc to try and convert, I did have some other backups, so have not lost a lot, perhaps another lesson for Microsoft to check installinstructions more carefully, I wonder how many more will have same issues as me ! Special conversion program needed !

Thanks for help.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That's good to hear that you've got some backups, as I agree that it would have been a long and painful process to get the data back the other way.

There's a tutorial on the Microsoft website that shows you how to go from XP > W7 and guides you through the process:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-easy-transfer

The version of Windows Easy Transfer on the W7 CD is the one you need to use in XP (or the download provided on the links above).

Reaction score
Again thanks Ian, it would appear that as I used XP wizard for transfer there is no easy way to convert the DAT files back in to Win 7, I will just have to wait for another person to come up with a magic answer (Hope Microsoft are listening)

Many thanks agin.

Reaction score
woah woah woah....ok i did this too! and yes it is agreed that we didn't follow directions carefully enough but...there has to be a work around?! please tell me there is a work around....

Reaction score
woah woah woah....ok i did this too! and yes it is agreed that we didn't follow directions carefully enough but...there has to be a work around?! please tell me there is a work around....
Hi,
Glad I am not the only one who has this inability to read between lines of setup instructions.
Through help from Ian on site, I have found www.fastimgwiz.com has a trial software that should cure problem.

I have downloaded it and it goes straight in to the DAT files and starts to read thousands of them and there are many in 26gb of backup !

Unfortunatly computer rebooted before completion, it does not look too expensive so may have to purchase, unless anyone knows something better and cheaper !

Reaction score
haha yeah right now im in virtual xp mode (within win7) unpacking the files. taking for ever(108gigs). then i plan on using the correct software....hope it works....its taking for ever (the better part of a day) if it doesn't work ill try you deal but im half way done this so it doesnt feel right just giving up now....once i get it back into xp i plan on cutting some fat from it(music and pics) to help expedite the process

Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for update, I am going to continue copying from Windows.old and slowly reinstall the programmes as I need them. Will not purchase the wizard program unless desperate.

Ask a Question