Windows 7 freezes

Reaction score
It started freezing again.
Hadware problems are ruled out since every single piece has replaced.
So it's gotta be a bug in Windows. It happens on a fresh installation too.

Reaction score
hi......... plz help me to enable sleep mode option...

please........

Last edited:
Reaction score
hope this helps.

1]what i did was to system restore before the freezing started occuring.

2]then if u remember installing any programs just before freezing prob started occuring then uinstall it.or else check its combatibility with win7

3]in power options set it as high perfomance and put all options as never.

mostly this should solve it.

hope this helps.

Reaction score
Hi to all of u.
i've encountered the same problem as all of u and i bet my method will solve at least 80% of all of u here.
heres how:

1. go to control panel > troubleshooting > system & security > power.
(most of u change only the performance to "high" directly under power option, which DON'T actually help)
2. now click advance setting and make sure "Apply repairs automatically" is checked, then click next, it will detect and run for awhile, then click "apply this fix".
3. after applying the fix, close it.
4. go to control panel, power options, and make sure now high performance is checked. ok and close it.
5. and see if the magic works.

Reaction score
my system was freezing also. I customized the power plan to set the CPU processor power management to 100% minimum and 100% maximum and the issue went away.

Reaction score
This is weird. Or, maybe not. I've tried most everything everyone has recommended... btw, this is a great forum! Short of re-installing from scratch. Everything I have tried seems to work for a day or two and then back to square one. However, I have come across an apparent "fix" by accident. I noticed that when I had a disc in my read/write drive that the machine appeared to be the most stable it had been, No freezes. For now, I've just put in an old movie DVD. I had noticed that for some of the previous freeze incidents that my read/write drive as well as my hard drive would thrash while the system froze up. But, so far, by keeping a disc in the drive there have been no freezes. It's been two days now... coming down to the wire... :)

Reaction score
My Story

Been having the freezing problems for days, here are my symptoms and what i've tried if anyone can help.

I had been runnin the Win7 RC build for months without a single problem, it was rock solid. Then I installed Win7 professional and immediately it started freezing up randomly. Sometimes when installing programs, sometimes when browsing the web, most often when watching video/music. I have reinstalled multiple times, on different/new partitions, still get the freezing.

When the freeze happens, the mouse/keyboard become unresponsive, the screen is frozen, then it becomes a blank screen of solid color of whatever the most dominant color was on the screen when it froze (could be white, blue, brown etc.). A couple times it has self rebooted.

When a freeze happens, I can usually recreate it by doing the same thing after I hard reset (be it watching video/burning a DVD/ copying a large file). If I go into my bios and alter the RAM timings a little bit, it will solve the current freeze hurdle, but in the end it will eventually freeze again.

I downgraded my ATI drivers to 9.9, seemed to help but still freezes. Memtest for 6 passes found no errors. Latest BIOS installed. I ALSO have a WD Caviar Green HDD, I hope that's not the problem since I don't have another drive to replace it with.

I just find it odd that my fresh install of Win7 PRO is so much less stable than the RC build.

Things I will try when I get home:
1. Adjust performance to MAXIMUM
2. Downgrade ATI drivers to 9.8
3. I ordered some new RAM in case that's the problem to try it out (currently have Corsair DDR2-800)
4. maybe un-install AVG 9.0

Any other suggestions?

My build:
Intel E2500
4GB Ram Corsair DDR2-800 5-5-5-18
ECS G31T-M Mobo
Western Digital Caviar 750gb (i think) Green
ATI HD4550 Radeon (9.9 drivers)
Interlink Wireless Keyboard+Thumb-joystick (one weird symptom I did notice is now the keyboard keeps turning on the Numlock randomly, much more often than is used to)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was freezing after 70-90s every time. I checked my event viewer, and noticed the critical errors were all Kernel-Pwr. I changed my power settings to "high performance" as suggested by daleebob on p.2 of this topic thread, and voila! So far 5 minutes with no freezes. Trust me, this is such a step up from 90s.
Check your event viewer!

Reaction score
AVG causes the most issues on the internet. Completely uninstall that. If you only disable it, it will have no beneficial effect.

Reaction score
Hello Guys,
I have the same problem as all of you. I tried to reinstall windows 7 (clean install) and i update new driver that support of windows 7, setting for maximum performance, adjusting my bios, disable aero, and many more. but the problem still occur, every couple of minutes (sometime a hour or more) its suddently freeze, mouse didnt move at all. i cant do anything except pressing reset or power button. Please Help me...

Windows 7 rtm 32bit (everything updated)
Zotac mainboard
Intel Core2duo E7200 (not overclocked)
Nvidia Leadtek 9600 GT 512mb
3GB Memory
Sound card onboard

Reaction score
Okay im 100% sure the freezing is caused by the internet or something. I managed to reduce the freezing so it wont longer freeze during Online play/web browsing by: Device manager//Network adapters//Properties//Power management//Uncheck the allow computer to turn off the deveice.

I guess thats the samething as high preformance though.

But that wont stop the freezing to occur when downloading or load the bandwith. Piece of crap, we can only pray that it will be a fix for this soon.

EDIT:
In event viewer it says kernel-power so if checked online it says "The last sleep transition was unsuccessful. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding failed or lost power during the sleep transition."

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=41&eventno=9230&source=Kernel-Power&phase=1

Last edited:
Reaction score
The only critical errors I see are the Event ID: 41 Kernel Power.

To me this seems like it's getting an error when we hard-reset it because we cut the power. I wonder if it DIDN'T freeze and you just hard reset it if you would get the same error message.

So I'm thinking that event ID in fact is not the initial freezing event rather it's recording our pressing of the power button.

Reaction score
Latest instance of freezing was not cured by rebooting modem & router
even though this sometimes works.

I'm stumped - gone to linux.

Reaction score
I've been plagued with freezes since I installed Win 7, it's so random. I've updated drivers, removed programmes I had installed trying to get to the bottom of it.

It will sometimes not freeze for days at a time, then it will freeze 4 or 5 times in a row. I can't download anything as it will more than likely freeze during that.

I have upgraded from XP which ran without a hitch, the only change to my computer hardware wise has been the addition of a new hdd,

guess what?

It's a Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache.

There's a pattern forming here. :cool:

I'm trying the high performance power option trick atm, i'll just have to see how that goes.

Q9650 @ 3.6 Ghz
8800GTX GPU
Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R MOBO
4 Gig PCZ-6400 RAM
Seagate 320GB HD (Win7 64 bit)
Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache
Antec Neopower 650W PSU
X-FI Xtreme Gamer

Last edited:
Reaction score
Same problem

You can probably guess what my problem is, but it ran fine for about 3 months. it started freezing about 3 days after I installed a WD Caviar Green 320gb. (it was off fr most of those 3 days.)

Reaction score
I suggest you a little "bad" solution:

simply deactivate areo (by choosing a different not-aereo theme)

I don't know if this solution was post previous, but it works perfect... of couse is a "bad" solution because we cannot use aero!

I will try new less radical solution... stay tuned!

Reaction score
I suggest you a little "bad" solution:

simply deactivate areo (by choosing a different not-aereo theme)

I don't know if this solution was post previous, but it works perfect... of couse is a "bad" solution because we cannot use aero!

I will try new less radical solution... stay tuned!

Ok!
I've a brand new solution...
Seems to work well...
Well try to unistall any kind of power managment tool (for example the iPowerManagment). My notebook run perfectly since three hours!

Ask a Question