Windows 7 freezes

Reaction score
After struggling for days with this issue I think I've fixed the problem for myself.

In the nvidia control panel, under "Manage 3D Settings" there is a Power Management option that was set to Adaptive. I set this to "Prefer maximum performance" and I haven't had the problem since.

Bearing in mind that I could duplicate the problem at will by loading up pretty much any game I'm hoping that this is the end of it for me.

Hopefully this will help someone else too.

Note I had mult-gpu mode disabled as well as Physx gpu acceleration as I was playing around with those settings too.

Reaction score
I fixed my problem.

I System restored back to before Windows updates.
I Remove my USB S3 Cruizer 1gig MEM stick.
I did power options > High Performance
I Uninstalled ESET NOD32 Antivirus SmartSecurity

Havent crashed since I got home 17:15. its now 00:04 CET

Will return when I investigate on locating the source of my crash :)

Reaction score
gotta love new os's lol since unplugging my headset I havent had a crash yet. Why would usb 1.1 devices become unusable with a new os?

Reaction score
I've got the same issue. While doing anything at all, all programs become unresponsive at random times. It can happen while playing a game, browsing internet, watching a video, listening to music. Sometimes I can move the mouse sometimes I can't. It will take anywhere from 30 secs to 5 minutes but mostly it's like 90 seconds. After which all actions I performed while frozen are performed at once. The harddrive light doesn't turn on for me though.

I've tried several of the fixes mentioned in this thread but none have helped completely, but some seem to have made it occur less often. Most recently I ran a program RegCure which seemed to have some effect but the problem is not completely gone. But, I haven't restarted yet since I ran it so maybe that could help.

Also, it does seem to happen more often if Firefox is running but it happened with all kinds of browsers and also with no browsers running at all.

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I came across this thread last week, about the time I got my new computer, which runs on Windows 7.

My computer also kept freezing and it was getting REALLY annoying!

I did ALL the suggestions here and none worked!

Well, I am glad to say that my freezing has disappeared and my computer runs as it should now. What I did was checked the QVL (Qualified Vendors List) of my Motherboard for qualified Ram.

As it turns out, my Ram was NOT on the QVL, so I changed the Ram to one that was on the list and volla... everything works!

I am not too versed in computers, so I hope this helps out the next person.

Cheers!

Reaction score
It will help you, I guarantee

1.Look at processor and motherboard. Have you overclocked that processor? Check for BIOS and driver updates for MOBO

2. Or just do these things:

- Turn WLM off in msconfig.
- Right-Click your desktop, click 'Screen Resolution'.
- In the Screen Resolution windows click 'Advanced settings'.
- Go to the 'Troubleshot' tab, and click the 'Change settings' button.
- Move the slider left to the third notch and click OK.

Here is my source:
http://dandar3.blogspot.com/2009/01/windows-live-messenger-2009-freezes.html

Reaction score
CONSTANT FREEZES/SHUTDOWN

windows 7 64 bit

intel core i5 , gigabyte udr 3 , xfx hd 4890 , 4 gb corsair ddr3

problem is works for a while then just freezes , and i have to reboot ? any fixes would be grateful i have all latest updates for drivers etc

please help im going insane

ps only things in usb are keyboard, mouse , headset all logitech usb :()

Reaction score
CONSTANT FREEZES/SHUTDOWN

windows 7 64 bit

intel core i5 , gigabyte udr 3 , xfx hd 4890 , 4 gb corsair ddr3

problem is works for a while then just freezes , and i have to reboot ? any fixes would be grateful i have all latest updates for drivers etc

please help im going insane

ps only things in usb are keyboard, mouse , headset all logitech usb :()
ran the windows 7 diagnotic memory and it reported no errors so its not ram issude

Reaction score
ran the windows 7 diagnostic memory and it reported no errors so its not ram issue
You should not rule out memory simply because the diagnostics tool doesn't report anything. That is a good sign if the tool doesn't report anything. But this doesn't mean there is absolutely nothing wrong with the modules. It only means the Diagnostics did not find anything.

Reaction score
Right, are you ready for this? I am tempting fate by even saying this, but my problems now are SOLVED!!!! Here's what happened:-

I can't count the number of things I have tried, but last night, I finally gave up and decided to format and install Vista 32bit instead. Rebooted with the Vista CD in and went through the installation process. Didn't appear to be any problems until it was just about to login for the first time, and the screen just froze with the desktop wallpaper. No icons, no taskbar, no clock...JUST the wallpaper.

I couldn't believe it. Never had problems like this with Vista. So, I had to do a hard reset and try again. Same deal. It just froze with the wallpaper. No disk activity. Nothing.

I then started to think about what had fundamentally changed since trying to upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista. The significant thing was a new hard disk: a 1TB Western Digital WD10EADS Caviar Green model freshly purchased. I hadn't had any issues with it: in fact, I'd even had Windows 7 run a chkdsk on it at one point and it found no problems. But, I decided to disconnect it and instead use one of my original 500GB drives (Samsung Spinpoint) as the boot drive instead. In fact, for simplicity, I disconnected all my hard disks bar this one and went through the Windows 7 installation process (again) to this drive, formatting along the way.
I've been having these freeze up issues as well. My computer is 3 weeks old and the problem only started 3 to 4 days ago.

I have the exact same "1TB Western Digital WD10EADS Caviar Green" you have and think we may be looking and the same culprit. I noticed everytime my computer freezes the HDD LED stays a solid red for the entire duration of the freeze so that made me hone in to it right away.

In the meantime I have set the power management mode to "Prefer maximum performance" in the nVidia Control Panel following another poster's advice on here. If that does not fix it then I shall run past the shop and pick up a 500gb HDD and see how that goes.

Here are the rest of my spec's:

GB GTX275
GA-MA770T-UD3P
AMD Phenom 720
2x2GB Corsair DDR3 1333hz
Windows 7 Home Premium

Reaction score
I sadly think this is beyond my capabilities of fixing i tryed all sorts of things still happening :( even rolled back drivers etc nothing works brand new pc aswell , i think there might need to be a patch from windows to sort this out

Reaction score
ASUS p5q
core 2 quad
8gb corsair ram
1tb seagate sata
geforce 8500gt
Win7 ultimate 64 bit
all hardware/os latest updates
this system ran WinVista perfectly

Win7 freezes after not used for a while. Mouse movement restores display
but no cursor movement or other apparent activity. Changing power plan to
"performance" reduces, but does not eliminate, incidence of freezing.

If I reboot the DSL modem and D-link router, the system often recovers.
The freeze continues until internet connection is established, then recovers.

Could this be more Microsoft "Genuine Advantage" crudware?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi.
Thought I'd share my story.
I have had problems with freezez, the kind where the pc becomes completely unresponsive and even the clock stops.
It started about one year ago but only occurred with 4GB in the system. I have 2 sticks of DDR2 RAM and if only one of them was present the computer would never freeze but if both were in it would freeze sometimes after five minutes and other times after half a day or a few hours.
So I decided to sort it out and I sytematically started changing hardware parts.
First I tried with new RAM. The problem was still there so I got a refund. Then the mobo then the PSU. The freezes kept happining and I was about to go crazy. In the end I had tried changing literally all parts except the video card (a gforce 8800 gts). So I ordered a radeon 4770. When it arrived I plugged it in along all 4GB af RAM after removing the gforce card. I wasn't too optimistic to be honest. But I installed the latest driver and started running a torture test in prime95. It ran for 24 hours without freezing, and it's never been able to do that with 4GB present for the last year.
I haven't had any freezes for two days yet so I think that was it.
It is a mystery to me why it only froze with 4GB present but at least now it works again. At last!!!
Hope this helps someone out there.

Regards/ Mikkel.
----
AsRock 4core1333-viiv
4GB Corsair xms2 (2x2GB) dual channel
Radeon 4770
core2 duo
Windows 7 64 bit.

Last edited:
Reaction score
thought i'd solved it, last night the battery died in my wireless keyboard and mouse so used a wired keyboard and mouse and had no crashes all night and all day until about 5 minutes ago. Really starting to annoy me now especially as I thought it had stopped

Reaction score
I'm also getting really annoyed with this problem. I've been getting totally random freezing in Firefox, Thunderbird and both IE 32& 64 bits. Every time it happens the computer is completely unresponsive and I am forced to do a hard reset. I've played LOTRO for hours at a time with no problems but as soon as I try to check my emails or do some surfing it freezes. I am pretty sure this is not a problem with graphics or sound card drivers or you would see problems while gaming.

P.S
Had to type this message on my XP machine because win7 kept freezing on me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just had win7 freeze up twice on me. Once when I was streaming media to my PS3 with TVersity (no open browsers) and the other I only had utorrent running when it froze.

Reaction score
Utorrent seems to cause it to crash more than anything, usually it lasts less than 10 minutes after opening utorrent for me. Have had to stop using it completely at the moment, but the computer still freezes quite often

Reaction score
Hate to say it but I think I'm going back to vista...at least until the first service pack is released for win7. :(

Reaction score
The more I read the posts, the more it seems like the freeze may be occurring when an app is trying to access the internet, but the connection has been dropped. Try rebooting your internet connection after a freeze (before rebooting the computer!) and see what happens. I have had mine recover by doing this.

I have gone back to running WinXP under an Ubuntu virtual machine until (and unless) this is solved.

Reaction score
Have resorted to shutting down services to try and find the culprit. Starting with windows firewall. Will report back.

Ask a Question