Windows 7 freezes

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
quick format
Should have gone full format (takes longer but worth it) you may have leftovers of your old OS interfering with your new OS, i would advise another clean install with full format and drop down to 2GB RAM if you have more installed ... i know its a pain but its the best way.

Ive had many Bikes in the past, but the wife is not keen .. but when i win the lotto a new Harley chop will be in the drive way ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
OK I found one solution to all the freeze!

I've had the same problem, installed a fresh Windows 7 and everytime I start my computer I got a freeze after 1 minute, less or more, I had my Power on High Performance but still it froze, until now!

When you start the computer press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and press processes, there find the dwm and remove it, this is the interface of Windows 7 and you will not have all cool effects anymore but that is the only thing that works for me.

No more freeze, if someone have a better idea please post it!

Zwan

Reaction score
I have stumbled into a discovery about this, it seems that alot of people using DDR3 profile on thier RAM and 1333 Mhz have the same issue with freezing.(Not only based on this thread). I suggested that these people should try and lower the DRAM frequency from 1333 Mhz to 1066 Mhz or even 800 Mhz. To do so, enter BIOS/ADVANCED CHIPSET to change it from "auto" to one of the above. This may not be the solution for many of you but mabye for some.

Keep on searching!

The truth is out there.

Reaction score
OK I found one solution to all the freeze!

I've had the same problem, installed a fresh Windows 7 and everytime I start my computer I got a freeze after 1 minute, less or more, I had my Power on High Performance but still it froze, until now!

When you start the computer press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and press processes, there find the dwm and remove it, this is the interface of Windows 7 and you will not have all cool effects anymore but that is the only thing that works for me.

No more freeze, if someone have a better idea please post it!

Zwan
Hey it works, I THINK, needs more testing but ive been downloading like crazy wich i couldnt do before. I'll return in a day or 2.

EDIT: It frooze agin, maybe it reduced it, maybe not.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I would be curious to know how many of these freezes are due to Windows 7 trying to work with WDDM 1.0 compliant hardware. Windows 7 uses WDDM 1.1 to render aero effects. If you do not have WDDM 1.1 compliant hardware, maybe it is time to think about upgrading your graphics adapter or stay with Windows Vista. For every one of these complaints about Windows 7 when in fact it is hardware related only creating doubt for those thinking about trying Windows 7.

Reaction score
Hi. Wiser 2001 advised here some days ago to switch from AVG to another antivirus program. I did this, now I have the Microsoft Security Essentials on and everything works perfectly!!! Thanx! I don't want to be happy too early, but since then no freezing has happened.
Question to clifford_cooley: how do I know, which WDDM version of my hardware I have?

Reaction score
Hi. Wiser 2001 advised here some days ago to switch from AVG to another antivirus program. I did this, now I have the Microsoft Security Essentials on and everything works perfectly!!! Thanx! I don't want to be happy too early, but since then no freezing has happened.
Question to clifford_cooley: how do I know, which WDDM version of my hardware I have?
Enjoy your AVG-free working machine. :)

You can check the device manager for your video card about which WDDM driver you have installed. Recommended: Always install drivers only from NVIDIA's website. I'd do that now if you have one showing Microsoft's name.

Reaction score
Still working? I don't deserve credit for this advice though, I found it scouring through mounds of forums to determine the nature of my problems with win7 (as of yet, not 100% determined, though I've narrowed it to my video card (ATI HD4850) or my Mobo (Gigabyte MA790X-ds4)).

Reaction score
lol

I'm the one saying everywhere how bad AVG is and for users to completely uninstall.

Reaction score
Ya, that's where I heard it. Was it also you suggesting Microsoft Security Essentials? I've seen posts about problems with AVG and Kaspersky. What do you use TorrentG? I like Kaspersky, but when I get my rig running I'm not even gonna bother. Maybe go back to NOD32.

Reaction score
I'd rather not use any but I'm a big fan of using ZoneAlarm. The extreme version I use has integrated Kaspersky. Since it's there, I enable it. It is very low on resources and you can not even tell it is running besides looking in the system tray or task manager.

Reaction score
Why TorrentG are you one of the guys like myself that doesn't use Active Anti-virus Scanners.

I will scan periodically manually. I don't want my computer performance cut in half because every process I make is being scanned.

Reaction score
freezing, Gigabyte MA770-UD3, HD4850, Phenom 9600

Wiser2001, we have similar hardware. Intersting to see what you get with AVG.

I have a gigabyte ma770-UD3 rev 1 with F5 bios update(latest as of now).
G Skill pc8500 2x2Gb
Phenom 9600 x4 black edition
ATI HD 4850
on board lan.

I get freezes on windows 7 64 bit professional from a clean install on a new 750gb drive.

My freezes occur randomly. i played a whole movie in WMP no freeze, i can surf net for 20min and freeze. I can wake up in morning and its frozen. Sleep is off.

It was happening during web browsing with IE (32bit) and Firefox(Shiretoko 64bit). So i disabled my built in realtek lan card and bought a usb wifi netgear stick.

still freezing....

I get less frequent freezes when i set my ram to 2.1V and to 1066Mhz, it was on auto and 800mhz with 1.8v.

improvement but freezing...

I had ad-aware, got rid of it. I was using mcafee AV, got rid of it and switched to AVG.
I will probabbly get rid of AVG it and run with pants off for a while to see whats up.

Reaction score
I never even got to the point of installing anti-virus software, or pretty much any software, as my freezes became more and more frequent. That with clean install of win7x64 , win7x86, and then also returning to XP SP3, and then a new clean install of XP SP3. After extensive testing determined it was my mobo, brought it in and found that under the capacitors to the left of the CPU (facing the mobo, with USB and ports on far left) the motherboard was exhibiting some yellow hues, instead of the all deep-aqua-blue. So I've RMAd it and have to wait 20-30days to find out if my mobo was fried (used it for 13months... had the problem just occurred a little over a month earlier I could've argued for direct swap and let the store deal with the RMA).
So... stuck to my work comp now :(
Oh ya, and the laptop my girlfriend bought in 2005.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Enjoy your AVG-free working machine. :)

You can check the device manager for your video card about which WDDM driver you have installed. Recommended: Always install drivers only from NVIDIA's website. I'd do that now if you have one showing Microsoft's name.

Could you tell me where exactly look for this? I'm in DM>Display Adapters>and double clicked my Nvidia card to display the properties window.

Reaction score
I finally got to the bottom of my problem, I have a bad phone line in my computer room and was using a Belkin wireless network card. I had installed Vista drivers as there were no Win 7 drivers. At closer inspection I realised they were only for a 32 bit OS.

I took the card out and all associated drivers and replaced it with a power line network adapter. I haven't had a freeze since.

Check your networking.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just built a new computer:

Asus P6X58D Premium
i920 Intel i7
Kingston Max DDR3 2000 6GB
2 5850 Radeon
Windows 7 64 bit

Clean install and freezes like crazy. I try doing the updates from microsoft and it freezes installing them. All my drivers are current, well except the ATI ones because the newest ones leave me with a black screen. This OS seems really crappy for all the hype. Hopefully they will fix this and make a OS that works more than 10 min before freezing. Is it because I am using the 64 bit version?

Last edited:
Reaction score
In my case ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite was the culprit

System:

Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H (AMD 780G chipset) with F8 BIOS
AMD Athlon 7750 2.7ghz CPU

My machine had been plagued by random lockups ever since installing the retail version of Windows 7 Pro. Freezing could occour at any time, on average at least once per day; Sometimes at the password screen, sometimes after more than five hours of use. The mouse pointer would hourglass first, and in this state ctrl+alt+delete would totally lock the machine. Sometimes I would leave the machine for a while and come back to find it frozen. There seemed to be no obvious trigger.

Initially I thought it was the on board audio, because I first encountered the problem when using Media Player. But the problem persisted after installing an old Sound Blaster card. I then spent weeks trying different things. BIOS update, chip-set driver updates, onboard NIC driver update etc. Finally I read postings on this board reporting AVG and Kerpersky as possible causes. I use ZoneAlarm Internet Secuity Suite (the latest version of course!) which uses Kapersky's AV engine. I uninstalled ZA just over a week ago, replacing it with MS Security Essentials, and my PC has been 100% stable since.

As two different AV engines have been reported as causing similar lockup issues, I wonder if the problem is with Microsoft's security APIs. Anyhow, I just hope it gets fixed soon! I've seen on ZoneAlarm's user forums that there have been a couple of beta releases over the past few weeks, and that "stability improvements" is listed as one of the improvements.

Last edited:

Ask a Question