Windows 7 freezes

Reaction score
Hi, I love windows 7, but it keeps freezing (allot) sometimes less than 5 minutes after I turn it on and soetimes 1 an hour after. So does anyone else have this problem? Or does anyone know how to fix it? I'm probably gonna try to reinstall Windows 7, just wanted to know if anyone knew a solution to the problem before i did it.

-Sjurdur

Edit : Please create a new thread in the support forum if you are having a freezing problem - you'll get better support that way.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've not experienced this myself - are you running this in a virtual environment, dual boot or a straight forward install?

Also, does anything appear in the event viewer once you've rebooted?

Reaction score
I'm using Dual boot.

And I didn't know there was a event viewer, but I searched for it and know I see allot of errors, some of them had the level of Critical(I believe those were the freezes), they're sources were Kernel-Power, Information about it:

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

I don't know if this helps?

Reaction score
Yeah I've got the same problem.

On VMware it works fine, no problem at all, so it's probably a driver related issue.

Straight on my harddrive wich is a OCZ Core (SSD), gives this problem a lot.
Straight on a RAID-0 with 2 OCZ Core ssd's: same problem, I thought the raid was a problem till i installed it on a single drive.

Now i've checked the event viewer aswell but the problem with the Kernell just means that you resetted the PC. So that ain't the one who gives out info about the thing that caused the freeze.

Post all your hardware specifications please, let's see if we have anything in common wich might cause the problem.

My system:
Main: Asus M2N32-sli Deluxe
Proc: AMD Phenom 9850 Black edition (Overclocked to 3.1GHz but that ain't the issue for sure.)
Memory: Kingston nVidia SLI-Ready memory, 2x 1 GB and 2x 2 GB
Harddrives: 2x OCZ Core SSD, WD5000AAKS and a WD Passport external (lol)
Graphics card: Asus EN8800GTS 320MB
Sound card: Creative SB x-Fi extrememusic.

If your hardware contains one of the ones I use then that could be the problem.

Reaction score
Same exact problem here. Windows 7 7100 32-bit. It works for 5 minutes to 2 hours then just freezes. I did a fresh install w/updates and it freezes. No errors in the event log. I re-installed 3 times and the same thing happens every time. My guess is that it's related to the Nvidia driver. I didn't notice any freezing until after Windows Update installs the Nvidia driver. I also tried the Vista Nvidia driver and still had problems with freezing. Oh well, back to Vista.

Lenovo T61
Nvidia Quadro 140M
3GB RAM
Core2 Duo 2.5GHz
Intel ICH8 Chipset

Reaction score
Same exact problem here. Windows 7 7100 32-bit. It works for 5 minutes to 2 hours then just freezes. I did a fresh install w/updates and it freezes. No errors in the event log. I re-installed 3 times and the same thing happens every time. My guess is that it's related to the Nvidia driver. I didn't notice any freezing until after Windows Update installs the Nvidia driver. I also tried the Vista Nvidia driver and still had problems with freezing. Oh well, back to Vista.

Lenovo T61
Nvidia Quadro 140M
3GB RAM
Core2 Duo 2.5GHz
Intel ICH8 Chipset
Yeah I think you're right. I think the NVidia drivers are messing, however I assumed the chipset drivers but I got the NVidia nforce 590 chip. I'm about to install Win 7 x64 now, il try to get that stabile, I will install it on raid 0 tho. Installs in about 10-15 minutes complete :)

Reaction score
Well, I have the same problems except it happens when I'm on Firefox. It'll just slowdown like crazy until I have to restart. No nVidia drivers here, I haven't installed my graphical drivers yet because I'm waiting on a ATI HD 4890 to come in.

Specs:
Intel i7 920
P6T Deluxe V2
OCZ 6GB RAM
Seagate 7200.12 500gb
OCZ 700W ModXStream

Reaction score
I found the problem, we both use ASUS motherboards. The thing that bugs is ACPI.

ACPI power management and cool and quiet, it's the driver that kinda communicates with your motherboards health. Update all ACPI drivers with win update or try using vista drivers from Asus.

Windows update probably found a update for ATK0100 or something like that, install that aswell.

It isn't Nvidia indeed, however I did also update those drivers from the Nvidia site.

Good luck, I hope this helps!

Reaction score
Really? I just uninstalled Kaspersky beta for windows 7 and it fixed my problems. great you found a solution too!

Reaction score
the freezes ive experienced so far is no longer than 30 seconds-still a pain though....

pls keep in mind this is still in beta stages,

Reaction score
I am having the same problem. I am running the RC on a Dell Dimension 9100. It freezes for about 3 minutes and then unfreezes. This happens randomly. Sometimes every 20 minutes or so. Sometimes not for a couple hours. I ran the Beta on the same machine and did not have this problem.

Reaction score
Window 7 freeze solution?

Hi all. Not to bore everyone with all my details, but I'd like to pose a potential solution to the "freeze" problem and get feedback on if it worked or not.

My interest lies in the fact that a friend from Microsoft doesn't believe my solution "solved" the problem. Yet there is no other explanation from the folks in Redmond.

Okay-the setup. Dual core AMD X64, 1 gig memory, initially started with Biostar on-board video but upgraded to this from NewEgg: SAPPHIRE 100252HDMI Radeon HD 4550 512MB 64-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Low Profile Ready Video Card

Freeze problem both with on-board video and new card.

Turned off aero, still froze.

Plugged in a formatted drive that worked on another computer, still froze (worked on the other PC just fine).

FINALLY-the solution. In an obscure post, as well as an "event viewer" alarm about Kernel-Pwr that was dismissed by MS friend, I changed the power profile from "balanced" to "high performance".

Lemme just restate the fix (for me, anyway): I changed the power profile from "balanced" to "high performance" and no freezes at all, even running youtube videos, etc.

Oh-I also tried installing a D-Link PCI ethernet card. Still froze while watching youtube vids.

Well, good luck everyone. Hope to hear back with some good news!

Dale

Reaction score
Perhaps the balanced power state is trying to power down PCI cards on a system with a BIOS that does not support PCI shutdown. Just a guess, but this was the culprit I uncovered after 4 months of being unable to recover my computer from an S1 sleep state. My DFI motherboard did not enable PCI shutdown support by default.

Every motherboard might react a little differently.

The High Performance option disables PCI shutdown, sleep and hibernate. That's really all it does over balanced.

Reaction score
Same here

I have a Fujitsu T2010 notebook that works fine when using a docking station and external monitor. When using on battery power, and sometimes when using an AC adapter but with the laptop display, it just freezes. I am using RC, build 7100. I get the same Kernel power event log after a hard reset as somebody else here mentioned. I thought it was an ACPI issue, and updated the drivers and BIOS, along with every other update I could find. It still does it; sometime several times per day.

For awhile I thought it was inactivity for a few minutes, so I sat there in meetings at least moving the cursor with the arrow keys to keep it active, but that did not fix it.

It did seem at one point that the power setting of "High Performance" was better, but sometime sit works even on Balanced.

I thought that it may be the graphics driver, the Intel 965 driver was as up to date as it could be, but the fact that it never does it with an external display seemed like a pointer. I have downloaded the earlier version (7.15) of the driver, and may try that.

But I also went back in to the power setting and under Balanced, I changed the PCI settings to Off when on battery. Let me see what that does.

I hope I can get this solved, and perhaps others have some thoughts.

Reaction score
Why don't you just run it in "high performance" and see what happens?

You said "It did seem at one point that the power setting of "High Performance" was better, but sometime sit works even on Balanced."

If it worked in HP, why go back to the setting where it didn't???

Reaction score
same here...brand new system, I have installed win7 RC 64-bit build 7201 (before I had 7100 with exactly the same problems) and I keep on having RANDOM freezes..

Asus P6T
I7 920
OCZ 6GB 1600MHz
Velociraptor 160GB
GTX260
D-link wifi card
logitech mouse/keyboard wireless 2.4ghz..

up to now, after having checked some memory dump files (thanks to a friend), we found out that the problem might be the wireless keyboard/mouse set...

I just turned into high performance setting...let's see.

Reaction score
Any difference between builds that would cause me to reformat?

Please let me know your results with the power settings. I'm going out with my Microsoft friend next week and need some backup examples! He says it's a hardware issue-I say BS, XP works just fine and the only variable is the hard drive (both SATA) and the OS.

Reaction score
Any difference between builds that would cause me to reformat?

Please let me know your results with the power settings. I'm going out with my Microsoft friend next week and need some backup examples! He says it's a hardware issue-I say BS, XP works just fine and the only variable is the hard drive (both SATA) and the OS.
to my understanding...no difference at all (at least from what I see...)

I will keep you all posted. I have changed d-link with one netgear wifi card just in case this was the problem.

I will also use a wired keyboard/mouse set....

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
same here...brand new system, I have installed win7 RC 64-bit build 7201 (before I had 7100 with exactly the same problems) and I keep on having RANDOM freezes..

Asus P6T
I7 920
OCZ 6GB 1600MHz
Velociraptor 160GB
GTX260
D-link wifi card
logitech mouse/keyboard wireless 2.4ghz..

up to now, after having checked some memory dump files (thanks to a friend), we found out that the problem might be the wireless keyboard/mouse set...

I just turned into high performance setting...let's see.
You might try updating your video, keyboard/mouse, and wifi card drivers. That's often the case around here.

Reaction score
I haven't read everyones post/reply...but here goes anyways. And I do not spell chek, so live wid it.

This is a straight forward single OS install.

Windows 7 RC x64

Setup:
HP Pavillion dv6-1027nr (Laptop)
Intel Core2 Duo Processor T6400
4GB - PC6400 DDR2 800MHz SDRAM (max 8GB)
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD (upto 1759MB)

I am not going to mention anything about NIC's since Win7 builtin drivers work fine from the fresh install, plus ....I am connected to this forum right now...thus, not the problem.

Previous solution: (Power mode) does not apply here, I am always in High Performance mode.

Story:
This is a fresh install, fully MS updated as of last night (no errors during update). Everything is working fine, Wireless, Wired, Projector, HDMI to LCD 32", External Harddrive, USB mouse, Skype (MIC and Web Cam), SD Card Reader, Remote...except for the IR remote control, but I never expected it to from a Beta Win7 OS

Untill...

I installed Trend Micro Internet Security for x64. FAIL. Oh ya, I should have google searched for Trend Micro Windows 7. There is a beta install for Win7. Installed perfectly.

Then...

I installed iTunes.

Don't get me wrong, I love Apple products. Example: I felt like someone kicked my dog when I knocked over a glass of water onto my iPhone. I was sad, when I got the white screen of death randomly and often. No more details....but it workes now...after a month of drying. =) Anyways, back to the story. Once I installed iTunes the laptop was glitchy. I tried to shut down and it would not shut down at all. I had to hard shut down, holding the power button in to shut down.

Moving on...

Today I came home from work and I plugged in my 8GB USB Pen. It's a Scandisk 8GB, U3 compatible in secure mode, requiring UN/PWD to access. I plugged it in and the U3 OS never turned on. The U3 install window popped up, but 20 minutes later it's still there trying to run the OS. I canceled task, and that's where my problems started.

Now, I can not Windows Update, it freezes. I can not log off, it freezes, I can not shut down, it freezes.

No complaints, since this is a free OS for right now.

Event Viewer all points to iexplorer fatal error. But thats a broad spectrum problem. I am no engineer, so I have perfected a solutions. BACK UP! =) That's what external HD is for. So I just reinstalled and updated an it's all OK, (1 hour later, very MS, finally a quicker install)

So no real solution here, just advise, maybe this time I'll install Song Bird instead of iTunes (need to learn how to use it better). I'll go right for the beta Trend Micro install, I have no idea what i am going to do about the Scandisk USB Pen problem.

Looking forward to reading what the community thinks....as I just saw my iPhone next to me on my desk reboot itself for no reason...poor iPhone, it's not his fault he can't swim...Hey Apple how about making an APP that make the iPhone waterproof?

(20 secs later)

BING! I have a new Email, iPhone is still kicking.

Last edited:

Ask a Question