Windows 7 freezes

Reaction score
Deinstalled AVG 9
Checked vendor drivers
Updated Catalysm
Cut down autostart programs
Cut down running processes
Deinstalled x86 software as far as possible (third party)

Nothing yet. I'll do a check on my RAM later but I can barely imagine it's faulty.
While writing this, system froze again and somewhere I got a glimpse of a dialog saying *Apllication doesn't respond* but I was already minimzing stuff in nerdrage so I have no clue w(h)ich one...

I'll probably switch from w7 pro to ultimate as that's running smoothly on my laptop *shrug*

Reaction score
Hey, i just recently d-loaded windows 7 to my hp pavilion dv2710us and after getting all the drivers i thought i needed i had the freezing problem as you all are having as well as a power options problem(power options wouldnt work, wouldnt show correct charge on battery, took forever to respond to plugging in and unplugging). First instinct was to reinstall windows and it worked, then i reinstalled drivers for my touchpad and it broke again so i suggest checking your touchpad driver. Mine was an "Alps Touchpad Pointing Device Driver." This didn't make sense to me but when i installed it i had the problem, when i rolled it back it worked. I did this process multiple times and it was continuously the touchpad driver.

Reaction score
windows 7 freezing

I bought a brand new hp 6230y with windows 7 already installed, brought it home and couldn't upload programs without it freezing - couldn't go to internet without it freezing. Took it back to Best Buy the next day, geek squad said it was the hard drive and gave me a new one. Now I've had the new one two days and it is better but still freezing. Geek squad saisd they have had 3 hp's with 7 returned for the same issue and 2 other name brand pc's, thier solution was to bring this back and try another brand pc - stupid. My brother had me change over to Firefox and drop the Norton antivirus and now it runs lightning fast, but still freezes every now and then. I was trying to scan some documents and it freezes every 2 or 3 pages. I was online with windows live mail this morning but 1 hour later cannot access it. I really don't want to return this computer, as well - it seems all the posts here are from people who upgraded. Is anyone else having trouble with a new system complete with windows 7 - is 7 just having compatibility issues ?? PLEASE HELP

Reaction score
I have friends who have done the fresh install on an old computer and they're not having any problems like we all are. It might be the brand of laptop actually because from the sounds of everything we've all got HP laptops and they're using a Toshiba and a Dell....I don't know what else it could be....i'm going to attempt downloading the drivers for the laptops that actually come with Windows 7 and see how that works for me.

Reaction score
Deinstalled AVG 9
Checked vendor drivers
Updated Catalysm
Cut down autostart programs
Cut down running processes
Deinstalled x86 software as far as possible (third party)

Nothing yet. I'll do a check on my RAM later but I can barely imagine it's faulty.
While writing this, system froze again and somewhere I got a glimpse of a dialog saying *Apllication doesn't respond* but I was already minimzing stuff in nerdrage so I have no clue w(h)ich one...

I'll probably switch from w7 pro to ultimate as that's running smoothly on my laptop *shrug*
Two min after installing ultimate 64Bit it startet freezing again -.-" RAM is fine. I'm currently browsing the apple store :(

Reaction score
I have recently purchased a Tosh Sat. A505-S6990. Nice machine but running into the same issues that the rest of you are. It seems like i can't upload or download anything without a freeze-up. I have been trying to transfer files from external to laptop and i get maybe a Gb in and everything stops.(this is one of many issues but it is the most important at this time.) I start t task manager and try to close apps and that freezes. I am really trying tro avoid tech support if anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
I have recently purchased a Tosh Sat. A505-S6990. Nice machine but running into the same issues that the rest of you are. It seems like i can't upload or download anything without a freeze-up. I have been trying to transfer files from external to laptop and i get maybe a Gb in and everything stops.(this is one of many issues but it is the most important at this time.) I start t task manager and try to close apps and that freezes. I am really trying tro avoid tech support if anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.
Same thing with me man. I got a good deal on a Toshiba X505 Q830 and I've been having a few different, very annoying problems. The computer freezes randomly and drops Internet connection whether the connection is wired or wireless. I've been browsing a few different forums and have tried just about everything suggested. I had AVG installed and went ahead and uninstalled that. I've updated drivers and disabled several things. Nothing works though. I seriously just want to call Toshiba up and tell them I want my money back even though I really don't feel like going to all that trouble.

Really ****ing annoying when you have online classes and have to worry about your connection dropping or your computer freezing during homework or a test. I'm going to get the ball rolling on getting my money back if there isn't a fix by tomorrow morning; I know, fat chance.

Reaction score
HP's are notorious for being unable to change the OS, the only method I have found that works is to, ensure that you completely wipe your C: drive INCLUDING the HP System Recovery hidden directory. You may aldo have a BIOS setting that refers to System Recovery if so Disable it.

Win 7 has problems with many types of USB HDDs and USB flash drives, unplug them to see if your freexing issues stop.

Did you read my post on page 6 of this thread?

Reaction score
Ok here is everything I have found so far:
I did a clean install and followed the below, my system no longer freezes. ANY/ALL/NONE may work for you!

1) ALL USB devices MUST be USB 2 - If they are not random freezing will occur.

2) MANY hardware vendors have NOT produced Win 7 driver, software or firmware updates. You must be running Internet Explorer to view this DEVICES & SYSTEMS compatibility list.

3) Check for Win 7 updates for ALL software you have installed - Make sure you get the the right one for either 32 or 64 bit.

4) Disable both settings (select Do Nothing) for "What do power buttons do" in Control Panel.

5) To isolate Video Card problems enter BIOS and switch to OnBoard Video, if freezing quits you know you need to update video card drivers or in the worst case, buy a new video card.

6) In BIOS Suspend should be set to S1&S3.

7) Older hardware is probably not ACPI (power related) compliant, they will cause problems with sleep mode. Unplug OLD hardware to see if freezing quits.

8) Upgrade your BIOS to latest version.

** Caution** Changing the wrong setting in BIOS may MAKE YOUR COMPUTER UNUSABLE !!!
I did notice this post and I've tried several different things for my video card driver. I'm pretty much stuck with using the newest driver out on the Toshiba website though. I'm not going to mess with my bios since I don't want to screw things up, plus I shouldn't have to go to all of this trouble with a new laptop out of the box. I remember it freezing even before I put basic programs on my computer so I know I didn't put anything on here to cause problems as they were occurring before I did much customization.

The computer freezes at pretty much any random time no matter what I'm doing. It really doesn't care what's open or what's currently running. I want to wait it out and let some sort of fix come, but it's just so annoying and I shouldn't have my time wasted on a daily basis by either troubleshooting, losing my Internet connection, or having to turn my laptop off and on because of freezing

Reaction score
I agree with you but returning the computer you have will not change things, this seems to be a Hardware Independant issue for most, although my posts have helped some people.

If you re-install Win 7 you should first format C: to wipe out any traces of the old OS, DO NOT USE Files & Settings Transfer Wizard. Or at least DELETE the ENTIRE Windows.OLD file. This has helped many people.

Reaction score
I agree with you but returning the computer you have will not change things, this seems to be a Hardware Independant issue for most, although my posts have helped some people.

If you re-install Win 7 you should first format C: to wipe out any traces of the old OS, DO NOT USE Files & Settings Transfer Wizard. Or at least DELETE the ENTIRE Windows.OLD file. This has helped many people.
My laptop didn't come with a disc. I'd have to use about 5 or 6 dvd's and create my own system restore disc. Even then, it would only restore my computer to how it was when I bought it. I started having freezing problems right away. I'm not very knowledgeable about the subject, but I think there might be a problem with my video card driver. Unfortunately there is no update from Toshiba or Nvidia.

Reaction score
I assume you have the last Nvidia update for your model - It was August 28, 2009. Get it here

Toshiba does not support Win 7 on your Model number (X505), according their own list for laptops. Here
But that does not neccessarily mean it won't work.

You should complain to whomever you bought the laptop from, not Toshiba.

Reaction score
I assume you have the last Nvidia update for your model - It was August 28, 2009. Get it here

Toshiba does not support Win 7 on your Model number (X505), according their own list for laptops. Here
But that does not neccessarily mean it won't work.

You should complain to whomever you bought the laptop from, not Toshiba.
Correct, that's the driver I have installed. I bought it from Amazon and I'm pretty sure I read something about having to deal with the manufacturer directly. I'll double check that before I make any phone calls though.

Reaction score
Same problem here. Windows 7 Ultimate freezes. When i try to disable NVIDIA the freezinf stops but when i enable it, its starting to freeze again. I think there something with the display adaptor compatibility.

Reaction score
I am pulling my hair out now.

I have had Windows 7 32bit Home Premius for about two weeks. It continued to do random freezes when either browsing the internet or playing some TV (live or recorded) through media centre, looking at device manager:- basically quite random. The freezes last for 10 minutes or more where I can still move the mouse cursor and often still drag windows around still, but I can't actually get anything to respond - button clicks or keyboard presses. My system is reasonably highly specced for a HTPC and is as follows:-

ASUS M3A-H/HDMI motherboard with latest BIOS
4GB DDR 2 Ram
Phenom quad-core processor
On-board HD 3200 graphics card connected via HDMI to Sony Bravia TV, displaying at 1080i
Main drive is a 1TB WD drive - brand new and clean
Extra drives are 2 x Samsung Spinpoint 500GB that I use for photos/music etc
1 x Terratec Cinergy Dual Tuner 2400i
1 x VideoTec (or similar) single tuner
Creative X-Fi Fatality sound card (as I wanted SPDIF out to my amp)
Wireless Network USB dongle thing - don't have it near me so can't check the spec. Nothing remarkable, but Windows7 detected and installed it during the installation process.

All drivers are the latest. I can't, however, find Win7 chipset drivers for my motherboard, but within Device Manager, nothing is flagged as problematic or not installed. There is very little installed on the machine. I put Windows Live Mail/MSN on there and AVG Free. Latest Catalist drivers for the embedded graphics card. Firefox.

It got to the point where my wife was ringing me at work to say she couldn't do her online shopping as the computer kept freezing as she was typing in. When I got home, I had a bit of a trouble shooting session. I removed 2 sticks of RAM: no joy. Disconnected the two 500GB drives: no joy.

The system runs cool.

When the freezes occur, there is no hard disk activity, and if I do manage to get Task Manager up (which is tricky as the freeze takes out pretty much everything), the CPU activity is negligible.

I decided to format and reinstall Win7 32bit (after only 1.5 weeks of the first install).

No change: still the same freezing. I haven't even installed ANY extra software. Just drivers.

I am running at 1080i and I will try knocking this down to 720p tonight to see if there is any change.

Prior to Win7 I was running Vista 32bit on the same system (bar the hard disks: one of the 500GB drives used to be the primary hard disk, but now I have the brand new 1TB WD drive for that - the two 500GB drives were formatted). I had no problems with the Vista setup.

This is just crazy.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi tricky and welcome to Windows 7 Forums

Can you give me the chipset driver No you are using.

Reaction score
Hi Veedaz and thanks for the welcome.
I will look for the chipset version when I get home tonight. However, how would I determine this? My motherboard doesn't have Windows 7 chipset drivers available - I tried (in desperation) to install Vista 32bit versions from the ASUS site, but, as suspected, it wouldn't allow me to.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I have found your MOBO > Here with some links that may be handy your chip is AMD, ASUS Express Gate Installer > Here if needed.

Ask a Question