Zombie nVidia drivers will not stay dead!

Reaction score
I have Win 7 Professional (32 bit) with an nVidia 9600GT Vid card. I have been experiencing display crashes where I have no display, but the computer seems to be otherwise functioning. I have traced the problem to the nVidia display drivers.

When these drivers (latest update) are installed, the system crashes. I have to turn off the power supply and reboot the hard way. I then go to Safe Mode and remove the nVidia drivers using Program Remove in Control Panel. This works, but when I go back to regular Win 7, it reinstalls the drivers!

So I go back to Program Remove and remove them. The computer asks to be restarted to finish the removal, but when I restart, it re-installs the drivers!

I trried removing everything nVidia, but then I killed the nForce Network and had no network connections.

Anybody have an idea what will stop this program from re-installing? Or is there a fix for the Win 7 / nVidia conflict?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Does Windows 7 try and install the latest version from Windows Update?

You can probably get a more up to date version from the NVIDIA website which may solve the problem:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index5.aspx?lang=en-us :)

Installing this manually should update the drivers to the latest version.

Ask a Question