Your opinions and advice on using Windows 7 in 2020 and beyond?

Reaction score
I cannot install Windows 10 on my 8-year-old Dell Latitude Windows 7 laptop. It continues to run well, and I am satisfied with Windows 7.
I use it for my business. I don't want to spend the money just yet to purchase an equal performance Windows 10 machine, and I don't want to buy a cheap Windows 10 with lower performance.
Anyone else in a similar position?
Any advice or warnings against depending on an unsupported operating system?
My guess is that it will be third-party software such as Matlab or Quickbooks that will force me to make the purchase.
I hope this will open up a discussion
Thank you.
Bob P.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
In my case what forced me to win10 was that my motherboard died and I bought a new computer. So as long as your hardware lasts you are probably fine with Win 7.

Reaction score
My two laptops will run w7p until they die or I die. Because I can buy replacement MOBOs, because I have MS w7p install DVDs, windows 7 is and will be my friend for a long time.
Also, both laptops have several alligators in the security moats, so the castles should be fine, as long as the day and night watchfolks stay alert.

Reaction score
I cannot install Windows 10 on my 8-year-old Dell Latitude Windows 7 laptop. It continues to run well, and I am satisfied with Windows 7.
I use it for my business. I don't want to spend the money just yet to purchase an equal performance Windows 10 machine, and I don't want to buy a cheap Windows 10 with lower performance.
Anyone else in a similar position?
Any advice or warnings against depending on an unsupported operating system?
My guess is that it will be third-party software such as Matlab or Quickbooks that will force me to make the purchase.
I hope this will open up a discussion
Thank you.
Bob P.
For the last 3+ years I have used XP Pro. It's EOS/EOL has meant absolutely nothing. All the much ballyhooed viruses, rootkits, trojans, and other bugaboos constantly threatened by M$ (and their legion of lapdogs) never materialized. In three years I have gotten 3 or four PUPs. Given this experience, my belief is that EOS/EOL is mostly a M$ marketing ploy to stampede the sheeple to the next rendition of Windows, and keep the income flowing in. It is the CA nazis, and their broken and embedded security certificates store (which renders all chrome/chromium based browsers useless), that forced me to move to Win 7.

If you are still concerned, I will offer the same advice someone gave me. Get a wired router, engage its NAT & SPI, set incoming to default deny, close all ports not essential, and before hooking it up to the router, do a full malware sweep of your PC to insure it's clean. Engage a software firewall, in addition to the hardware firewall. Use Malewarebytes Free and Superantispyware to scan once weekly. That is all I did, and my XP Pro remained near bulletproof for over three years, and that is all I'll be doing when I transition to Win 7.

Reaction score
i ended up transitioning away from win xp to win 7 ultimate, and never looked back. what forced me was my desktop inability to read more than 3.5 gb ram. i upgraded to ryzen 7 2700, 16 gb, m.2 ssd, win 7. it was a bear to install, but now works flawlessly. i have had one program that wouldn't run on win 7, but i forgot what it was

Reaction score
I need to find a tax program for my Windows 7 for this April 2020 returns . Can anyone suggest one? Last year H and R Block downloaded one to my computer for me. Haven't heard that they will do that this year. Has anyone been able to do that?

Reaction score
I need to find a tax program for my Windows 7 for this April 2020 returns . Can anyone suggest one? Last year H and R Block downloaded one to my computer for me. Haven't heard that they will do that this year. Has anyone been able to do that?
Looks like H&R flipped off Win 7 users:

Although here it seems to say different:

Mixed signals! Alternatives:

Ask a Question