Your Broadband Speed

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
There was a news item on the BBC last week talking about how the UK was lagging behind other countries in terms of broadband speeds and connectivity. As we've got people from all over the globe, I thought it might be interesting to see how our speeds compare. :)

I'm on an 8MB connection for £7.50/month (discounted via my mobile phone company), but I get a real connection speed of about 5.5MB. It seems fast enough for me, but I wouldn't mind a 20MB connection :D

Reaction score
Hmm, I'm on a 16Mb connection for £10pm and also get around 5.5Mb. I'm just too far away from the exchange. :(

Reaction score
Also 16mb connection for me, I don't know how fast the real speed is. How can I find out?

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Where I live there are only 2 ISP's to choose from and they both way overcharge because it's a protected market. With that in mind, I pay almost $30 canadian dollars for a download of only 1/2 Meg (upload of 1/4 Meg) *cry*

Reaction score
Here's my package from Roadrunner. I just swithched from Verizon with the 1.5nm plan to a 5 mb plan. Four times faster file down speed

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Where I live there are only 2 ISP's to choose from and they both way overcharge because it's a protected market. With that in mind, I pay almost $30 canadian dollars for a download of only 1/2 Meg (upload of 1/4 Meg) *cry*
It's like that in rural areas in the UK too (CAD$30 ~ £17), if you live far away from a telephone exchange in a village then 1MB/512kbps if the fastest possible sometimes. Although they charge the same price as if you live in a town/city and could get 22MB!

Reaction score
I'm in India and using BSNL's 2Mbps plan for around US$10 per month. And that's too not unlimited, I have a 2.5 GB cap on download+upload though they give 6hrs free usage a day.

Reaction score
BT Broadband 8meg . Think they cap the speed during the day while on torrent downloads:rolleyes:

At peak times

Reaction score
We have to pay over 40USD for 6mb-down 512kb-up.
It's ridiculous. There are only 2 isps in the area and they're both overcharging for what they provide.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
We have to pay over 40USD for 6mb-down 512kb-up.
It's ridiculous. There are only 2 isps in the area and they're both overcharging for what they provide.
Wow that does seem expensive! :eek:

I'm paying £7.50 (~$12.50) for 8MB down, 512kbps up (although it would only be a little bit more for 20MB down / 2MB up if I was in an area that supported it).

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I'm in the country side and on the edge of the supported area so I'm very happy with the deal we got (Sat TV, Phone line, Broadband)

Reaction score
I used to be on a 20Mb connection but after complaining to Virgin Media about the price and hoping to haggle for a drop in the cost they offered us a 50Mb connection for less than what we was paying for the 20Mb!!

Ask a Question