Finnish broadband access law

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Good post Core! I would like to see the FCC in this country do the same.
That might be problematic due to the strong sense in this country that the federal government shouldn't interfere with how companies do business (within reason). ISPs might actually have to guarantee to provide you with the speed they charge you for, and we all know how much they're interested in doing that...

I wouldn't hold my breath. BP's roasting turtles and twirling their thumbs up their arses on the coast of Louisiana, and the government hasn't taken that over, either.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
BP's roasting turtles and twirling their thumbs up their arses on the coast of Louisiana, and the government hasn't taken that over, either
There's also some concern about a giant methane gas bubble developing in the same area about 8,000 ft. down.

Go here to read it: How the ultimate BP Gulf disaster could kill millions

Disturbing evidence is mounting that something frightening is happening deep under the waters of the Gulf of Mexico—something far worse than the BP oil gusher.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Oh that's lovely. That's just wonderful.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
First of all congrats to the Finnish country for getting in tune with the times! The citizens will greatly benefit form this new law.

As far as the US goes, there is a law floating around, that guarantees a 100mbps internet connection to the over 100 million homes who doesn't have a service option at all, plus give service to the unemployed, retired, disabled, homes with kids (which, after all is added up, this would amount to at least half the population). Municipal internet is not new, but more needs to be connected.

And this very week, we have a public ISP, it shows on my list of connections, it's unsecured, yet I can't connect. The problem must be within my firewall. I will figure how to get it to work for me.

Core, makes you want to move back home, doesn't it?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That might be problematic due to the strong sense in this country that the federal government shouldn't interfere with how companies do business (within reason). ISPs might actually have to guarantee to provide you with the speed they charge you for, and we all know how much they're interested in doing that...

I wouldn't hold my breath. BP's roasting turtles and twirling their thumbs up their arses on the coast of Louisiana, and the government hasn't taken that over, either.
The government isn't responsible for cleaning up after private corporations. That's the number one problem with our government, too much intervention. BP caused the damage, not the US government, so let them clean it up, and pass the costs on to BP's customers only, not a gas price increase across the board. A foreign company, BP, done this damage on their own, on our soil, let them pay their own way out, and if any gas price increases occurs, it should fall on BP's customers alone, not everyone.

And secondly, BP, a foreign corporation, should not be allowed to drill near our coastline, period. They (BP) have their own coasts to drill from, they should take their act back home, where they belong. Since they took over Amoco, they have ruined the name of that product, so much that many former Amoco's customers changed brands of gas.

In any case, BP and BP alone should be held financially and personally responsible for the horrid acts they have created, own their own, with none of our taxpayer's money. I suppose the next thing they'll be looking for is a bailout, but I doubt they'll get it. Shame on BP for the damage they (and they alone, without any help, don't implicate anyone else in this) have done, and hopefully sometime within the next 20-30 years, they'll have our coasts cleaned up. The ones behind this deserves to be where Bernie Madoff is, behind bars for life, for the destruction done will never be cleaned up in it's entirety.

Cat

Ask a Question