xp to 7 upgrade, now 360 is sad

Reaction score
ok so here it is,

i grabbed a copy of windows 7 and decided to check it out, but after i upgraded i found out all my videos will no longer stream to my 360.

so heres how it happened:

i had Xp and everything was great, i was streaming my avi's and mp4's to my 360 without a gliche, i used wmp11 to just stream em over from my external hd to the 360.

now after the 7 install:

after installing 7 and updating and setting up all the programs i tried to connect my 360, so i went through all the steps, i succseffully streamed music but it was slow to load, excrutiatingly slow. then i tried my videos...

so when i try to play a video:

all my videos show up, and have thumbnails, but they also have a "do not enter" circle/slash, when i try to play any video the 360 says the codec doesnt work.

why this is so frustrating:

every one of these videos will play on the 360 if i unplugg the hard drive from the windows 7 pc and plug it directly into the 360, also they all played just a few hours ago when my pc was on XP, also i have the same problem with a friends vista pc.

so what happened?

when i installed 7 it converted all of my media to a codec thats unstreamable? maybe
or is it that windows is always junk when it first comes out? highly likely (just frustrated
)
but seriously, why would the 360 play them directly, but not accept them as a stream? or even further more, why can the 360 stream these videos from xp but not from 7?

Reaction score
2 Things:

1) Is it 32 or 64 bit?
2) In my case I discovered that there are no 64 bit drivers available for my USB HDD. It works for a while then for no apparant reason Win 7 decides it is not a valid device.

Another problem device in the GXT 16GB USB stick; Win 7 will not boot with this installed.

Reaction score
Sounds to me like you need the codecs installed in Windows 7. I have no experience with streaming to any game console. But if it ask for a codec then it needs a codec. If the Xbox will play then I would try installing the codecs on Windows 7.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
In my case I discovered that there are no 64 bit drivers available for my USB HDD. It works for a while then for no apparant reason Win 7 decides it is not a valid device.
I have never heard of specific 64 bit drivers for a USB external drive. It should just use the standard USB drivers regardless of the OS installed.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
i grabbed a copy of windows 7 and decided to check it out, but after i upgraded i found out all my videos will no longer stream to my 360.
It's always better to do a clean install rather that an upgrade of the OS. There have been issues when doing upgrades.

If you don't want to do a clean install, then try downloading the Shark Win 7 Codec Pack from here.

If you're on x64 then also download the Shark x64 addon pack here.

I hope that some of this helps you out with your problems.

Ask a Question