SOLVED XP Mode for Home Premium!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Evidently, MS has removed their restrictions on needing 7 Pro (or above) for Windows Virtual PC w/XP Mode. A member of another forum that I'm a member of (a multi Windows OS forum) told me this.

So to test it out for myself, I went to the Windows Virtual PC home page.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

And I selected my installed OS as 7 Home Premium 64 bit, and was allowed the download. However, I selected "Starter", and it was blocked. So I had to validate, and sure enough, it allowed for me to download, but I cancelled it, being that I already have it.

This is worth trying out, especially for those who wants a virtual XP, but has no full retail XP disc & COA. This is a XP SP3 install. Your printer, and other USB devices will work, after installing the tools (this option is offered after install). The complete install instructions are on the page. Plus with Win 7 SP1 installed, those computers that doesn't have hardware assisted virtualization in the BIOS can run it w/o the option.

If anyone is interested, try it out and see. Post back the results and let us know how it turns out.

NOTE: By default, IE7 & IE8 are "hidden" updates in XP Mode, but can be downloaded if the user wishes. Just click the option to "show hidden updates", IE8 will show. I use IE7 on XP Mode (works better than IE8 does on XP).

Also, this process is best done using IE (for validation purposes).

Cat

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Cat, this is HUGE, thanks for bringing it to our attention!!!

I added a copy of Cat's post to the Virtual PC - XP mode thread in our Freeware DB. I just think this is really really great news for so many Home Premium customers.

On the otherhand it does frustrate me a bit knowing I bought the anytime upgrade to Pro for my nephews laptop just for this feature. :(

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That's why I bought the Windows Anytime Upgrade myself, 2 times. But this was a recent happening, mabye a month or so ago, according to what I was told. I probably didn't need to purchase the one last month for my notebook.

Still, it's a good find, and a good deed for MS to do. Since the bulk of Windows 7's users run Home Premium, allowing this would help the new Windows 7 user get used to the new OS, while at the same time, have XP to lean on when needed.

There's also still many printers & other hardware that doesn't support 64 bit Windows out there, this is where having a virtual XP (32 bit) can come in handy.

However, MS isn't advertising this, I looked & looked, the site still says that one must have 7 Pro or above. Even on the TechNet forums, which I was a part of until 3 weeks ago, there was no mention of it. They've kept this low key.

Glad that it worked out for you, Elmer!

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Elmer reported that it did. Hopefully, it'll be of use to those who needs it.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
However, MS isn't advertising this, I looked & looked, the site still says that one must have 7 Pro or above. Even on the TechNet forums, which I was a part of until 3 weeks ago, there was no mention of it. They've kept this low key.
Probably so that businesses still buy Pro.

Elmer did you actually install it on a Home Premium machine so you are sure it actually validates & installs?

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
DOH!! :eek:
Capture.PNG
Was looking so promising as well!! :mad:

On the bright side, at least I've seen what the IE9 "Download Manager" looks like now!

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well that's just plain nasty; they dangle the carrot and then snatch it away.

So it let's you download but not install. Mean, mean.

Reaction score
Well that's just plain nasty; they dangle the carrot and then snatch it away.

So it let's you download but not install. Mean, mean.
Worse
It lets you download and install but not run it.

As soon as you click to run XP Mode for first use that message pops up.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
It's just a ploy to check our validation! :D What a pain in the arse!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I had no idea of this, or I would've not posted it. Before, you couldn't even get the download once you selected Home Premium as your OS. That's what surprised me about the outcome, it wouldn't allow a Starter user to download it, but a Home Premium user can. Weird.

I'll be getting with the one who told me about this, and let him know that his source of info isn't reliable.

In the meantime, this reminded me of a thread shortly after I joined this forum. There is a way to get a virtual XP, for free.

https://www.w7forums.com/xp-mode-windows-7-without-hardware-virtualization-t3009.html

It's been a year since I've done it, but it did work. The download for the player requires registration, the download for XP Mode does not, it's a straight link. It's kind of a VirtualBox lookalike.

Cat

Ask a Question