Worked fine for a year, now freezing

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this issue is related to the one I'm having. Here's what I'm running:

Win 7 Pro 64bit

on

P6X58 D - Premium
24GIG G.SKILL Ripjaws Series DDR3 1333MHz (PC3-10666)
Corsair 120 GB SSD
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 1024MB GDDR5

I've been running this machine for almost a year without a hitch when suddenly yesterday, it started to freeze up. Doesn't kick out of windows, I just can't do anything anymore. Sometimes I can still move the mouse but nothing else. I run a memory test and it freezes up at 99% complete. I tried a system restore in case it was update related and it won't finish the restore. Anyone have any ideas at all?

Hardware vs Software
SSD issue?
RAM would usually throw a message and dump

I'm not sure if I should get another drive or not, I really don't want to, SSD Life is showing 100% healthy, not sure what to try... HELP!

Thanks for reading,

Roger

Reaction score
Open Task manager go to Performance Tab the click on resource monitor button
you most likely will be able to see what is hogging your Memory/CPU

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I've moved this to it's own thread. That old freezing thread is too long and so it is only open for possible solutions. New problems get a new thread.

It may be a virus.

Suggest, on another computer, download RKILL (several versions) and Malwarebytes to a USB thumb drive. Then reboot to safe mode and run RKill (try two or three of the RKill versions) to see if it finds anything malicious in memory. Then without rebooting, install Malwarebytes (but do NOT activate the free trial if you already use a different antivirus product). Then run a complete virusscan with malwarebytes.

Links to RKill & Malwarebytes can be found in our Freeware DB (RKILL is near the bottom under section "Virus Removal")

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
What TrainableMan has suggested.

Also, I would be curious to see if the PC would run at all... what memory test have you run? Did you boot to the Windows 7 DVD and use that memory test? Or did you run a test from within Windows 7? I'd boot to a standalone DVD and test the memory from there, because if it still locks up then you know for sure it is a hardware problem and can start troubleshooting from there.

Ask a Question