Wireless mouse - momentary freezing

Reaction score
I'm having a strange problem with my mouse. This is the first wireless mouse I have ever used. At first I thought is was my mouse that was acting up. Now I am pretty sure it is my USB ports in the rear of the computer.

My problem is my mouse pointer stops moving constantly. It resembles a trashy ball mouse the way it stops moving with the exception that my pointer suddenly catches up with where it needs to be. During all this time I was considering the possibilities that it could be my mouse or a glitch in windows 7 build 7229.

A few nights ago for the first time my mouse quit responding. I was forced to check it out and try a different port. Non of the rear ports seem to work so I tried a front port. I did not have any trouble with the mouse on the front port. After a few hours I tried a different rear port and after a while the same thing started again. Now for the second time switching back to the front port without any problems.

I am curious if anyone else has had this problem. What do you think it could be?
  1. I realize this could be fixed in the Retail versions of Windows 7?
  2. Maybe a driver update is needed.
  3. Does this sound like a problem with the USB chip?
  4. Could there be interference with my wireless network adapter?
I'm not really sure where to start diagnostics. I don't really want to pull my adapter if I can get out of it.

What do you guys think?

Reaction score
Given that you're on build 7229, and Intel drivers have advanced quite a bit since then, it's really hard to say what is going on.

Reaction score
What do you suggest I do? - I'm trying to wait on the Retail Version.

I am also in the process of upgrading a home built system.

I was only wondering if there was some quick fix to this while I waited

Reaction score
Ahh hold on this is a very common problem.
FIrst of all lets try and get the back ports working again. I am using a wireless mouse and keyboard and the reciever is at the rear ports. Now I have the reciever connected to an extender to get a closer signal.
One time my mouse stopped working randomly, the keyboard was fine. So i did everything, changed the batteries, looked in device manager, updated the mouse. and nothing. Then i looked at the back to find the reciever was hanging near enough to the ground - and not enough signal was going to the mouse. Not sure why it didnt effect the keyboard though?

So the first things to do with this problem - check the reciever is near the mouse appropriately, also check the batteries are freshly charged and/or brand new. And also check the manufacturer website for product updates.

If this is fixed now we can troubleshoot the moving mouse pointer. If you are using a laminated surface at all, or bumpy surface, this is most likely to be the root of your problem.
Also check the lens of your mouse for dust or other pieces stuck in their. TO treat this give it a nice blow to get anything in their out.

I hope I have helped - olg207

James M. Fisher

Geezer
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
All the ports were OK under Vista? previous Win7 builds?
It's hard to say what is the problem when running a pre-release Windows version.

Reaction score
Is the reciever damaged or try and get a USB extender and see what happens, goodluck

Reaction score
Here is the mouse - Gigaware™ Wireless Optical Mouse

1. Receiver maybe 3 feet away in the rear port and only 2 feet if in front (Operating range is 20 feet) (I will check an extender cable to see if this helps)
  2. Batteries are good - freshly changed (RadioShack Brand Alkaline Battery)
  3. I did blow the lens
  4. Surface doesn't change things (foam rubber mouse pad and no-shine wood surface)
  5. I wouldn't think it was Windows 7 if the front ports work fine.
I like the mouse but if I can't plug into the back of the computer this receiver is of no use to me. I don't want cords all over my desk. After all this is one of the points in going wireless right. And sticking out the front just waiting to be broken is not good either.

Reaction score
Is the reciever damaged at all?
I know it is simple but have you looked for drivers reguarding this mouse.
The other thing is have you installed any software recently that could be conflicting with the device. Could be a recent security suite, that has disabled this device.
Have you looked in device manager to see if the mouse comes up. That will give us a better clue as to what the problem is.

Reaction score
I am happy to report that I am using the rear ports without a problem. Thanks guys for your responses.

I could only find one USB extension cable. Short but apparently effective. Its only a 6" extension but allows the receiver to go to the side of the computer instead of directly behind.

The only thing I can think of is the metal case was shielding the signal. It must help if there is a line of sight between the Mouse and Receiver.

Reaction score
I have recently discovered there is interference with my wireless network adapter and mouse receiver. For the first time I transfered files from my computer to another computer. When I started transferring the files my mouse started glitching worse than it ever has. I switch the mouse receiver to the front port and there was still glitches but not as bad.

After this discovery, I can now say that my mouse glitches was related to my wireless traffic. General Internet browsing was not enough to effect my mouse on the rear ports. I'm guessing the rear ports was effected while I was making larger online downloads which wasn't enough to effect the front ports. It wasn't until I made local transfers that I noticed effects with the front ports. It seems the greater my transfer speed the greater my interference.

I'm now left with a question. Can I purchase an antenna that doesn't connect to my card. An antenna that would be several feet from my receiver maybe even increasing my network signal strength. I have the Linksys WMP54G PCI Wireless Adapter - 54Mbps, 802.11g

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You should be able to change the wireless channel that your wireless router broadcasts on (also changing the one your wireless card uses), which should reduce any interference. In the UK I've got options 1-11 (default 11), but I use channel 5 as I get a much better signal strength that way.

I didn't realise it was possible for WIFI to interfere with the freq. that wireless mice normally use, but it's worth trying to see if it helps :)

Reaction score
You should be able to change the wireless channel that your wireless router broadcasts on (also changing the one your wireless card uses), which should reduce any interference. In the UK I've got options 1-11 (default 11), but I use channel 5 as I get a much better signal strength that way.

I didn't realise it was possible for WIFI to interfere with the freq. that wireless mice normally use, but it's worth trying to see if it helps :)
Hi Ian,
How do you change the channel? Im using a Belkin USB adapter.
http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=179211
Does my adapter have to be on the same channel as my router? That might cause problems, as there are 6 computers in my house!

edit: If your USB ports play up again, try and place the device as far away from the rear fan as possible, as your device might be overheating a bit!

Reaction score
Sycthus your USB adapter searches all channels till it finds the one that your router uses. If you want to change the channel used. The settings will be on the router.

P.S. - I haven't come back to thank Ian for suggesting to change channels. I was set on channel 6 and changed it to using channel 5. This seems to have helped but I haven't fully tested it though. My problem is wireless network and wireless mouse interference.

Thanks Ian

Reaction score
I'm purchasing a wired mouse, This wireless mouse is driving me crazy with all the momentary freezing

Ask a Question