Windows XP compatability feature - fast D/L available

Reaction score
Hi all
I've tested it and its 100% working fine (you must have VT enabled however which means a 64 bit CPU).

I've posted on another thread my results in more detail. Very happy with this within the limitations.

If you can't wait then get it from "The Green Devil" and search for XPM.

This was the version I got from SolOR who leaked the build originally. I've uploaded it to "The green Devil".

Cheers
jimbo

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks jimbo :)

you must have VT enabled however which means a 64 bit CPU
I didn't realise that XP Compatibility mode required hardware virtualization, that is a real shame as it means it can't always be used as an in-place upgrade on older hardware.

Reaction score
Hi there
Don't forget of course that you can still use "Classical" VM software like VBOX, VMWARE server / workstation etc even if you don't have VT enabled. You can then install XP as a guest os manually of course.

However in this case you won't be able to run a 64 bit GUEST OS. A 64 bit GUEST OS will require the VT feature (or AMD equivalent).

Incidentally you can actually run a 64 bit GUEST OS on a 32 bit HOST machine (again you must have the VT feature enabled). I did a test of W7 x-64 as a VM on XP PRO.:)
(Again if you so this the amount of RAM that your VM will use is limited since the XP PRO host will only see around 3.75GB Max).

Cheers
jimbo

Reaction score
Nice one! Thanks Jimbo!

I didn't know about installing a 64 bit OS on a 32 bit host using VT. Would VirtualBox and Virtual PC do this?

Reaction score
I don't know Virtual PC that well bit vmware and Virtual Box both do this.

Cheers
jimbo

Reaction score
I've not had any problems with Windows 7 compatibility wise other than trying to install MS Accounting 2007. I was easily fixed by installing the programs elsewhere on my drive. Other than that I've not need to try this new compatibility feature

Ask a Question