Windows Searching PDFs within Folders

Reaction score
I have a folder of OCRed PDFs that I want to be searchable through Windows search (Windows 7 64-bit).

I found out that there was a known issue with that requiring a plugin form adobe, and installed Adobe PDF iFilter 11 to address it.

The new PDF filter then showed up next the file type "pdf" in the advanced indexing options implying the problem was fixed, but it still wouldn't search through windows (although they are individually searchable within the pdfs).

I saw that the readme file advised to:
"After installing the PDF IFilter it is recommended that you set your system PATH environment variable to ‘bin’ folder of ‘Ifilter’ installation. e.g From the 'Control Panel\System\Advanced\Environment Variables' tab, append to PATH: ‘C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe PDF iFilter 9 for 64-bit platforms\bin\’ and then restart the machine."

So I added to the PATH variable to make:
"C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\;C:\Program Files (x86)\MySQL\MySQL Fabric 1.5 & MySQL Utilities 1.5\;C:\Program Files (x86)\MySQL\MySQL Fabric 1.5 & MySQL Utilities 1.5\Doctrine extensions for PHP\;C:\Program Files\Symantec.cloud\PlatformAgent\;C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe PDF iFilter 9 for 64-bit platforms\bin\"

I restarted, but the problem isn't resolved.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Ask a Question