Windows Live Mail Problem

Reaction score
Last week Windows 7 failed to boot and the error message said bootmgr missing. I tried to resolve this using both a Windows 7 repair disc and the original Windows 7 installation disc, but eventually had to resort to a system restore which solved the boot problem.
According to what I read only the Windows system should be affected by this and, indeed, all of my documents and programmes are unaffected. Windows Live Mail Does not appear to be part of the Windows system as it has to be installed separately. Despite ths the Windows Live Mail Messages downloaded since the restore point are missing. There are lots of hints on how to recover deleted Windows Mail messages but I can find nothing on recovering lost(undeleted) messages
Is it possible to recover these?

Reaction score
Unlike Windows XP and Vista, Windows 7 operating system does Not include any email client ( program ).
If you did a system restore to a date BEFORE Windows Live Mail (WLM)was installed, then you would have to reinstall WLM.

WLM is part of Windows (Live) Essentials package.
Here is the download link. The WLE download will let you choose which program(s) you want o install.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/products/features/windows-essentials

As to the emails you have lost, try log on to your server's web mail site, sign in, and see if you past mails are still there. You most recent ones should be there.
If you had set the server to delete messages after (x) number of days, then the "older" mails would be gone and not retrievable.

Reaction score
I am well aware that Windows Live Mail has to be installed as part of the LIve essentilas prrogramme and is not part of the Windows system (see my original question), hence my dismay at losing email messages. There does not seem to be any way of recovering these lost messages, as opposed to deleted messages.

Reaction score
As to the emails you have lost, try log on to your server's web mail site, sign in, and see if you past mails are still there. You most recent ones should be there.
If you had set the server to delete messages after (x) number of days, then the "older" mails would be gone and not retrievable.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
When David mentioned it, you didn't really say whether your Restore Point was prior to your installation of Windows Live Mail or not. So I will ask you directly ... was the Restore Point you chose prior to WLM installation? And did you see a message that WLM would be affected/uninstalled by the restore? And after you restored did you then install WLM?

By default WLM messages are stored as .eml files in
C:\Users\<userlogin>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail
If WLM was uninstalled or installed then it may delete or empty that folder. So if it is gone check your recycle bin for that Windows Live Mail folder.

Other than that, as David said, you only hope would be if your settings are not to delete mail when it is downloaded, in which case they may still be available from your actual mail site.

Ask a Question