Windows Live Mail Font Size

Reaction score
How can i select a larger and different font size for incoming email messages i receive. I have no problem wth outgoing emails but all incoming ones are in a TINY SIZE font which I have trouble reading. Im old and my eyes arent what they used to be and it is causing me a real problem.
I also wonder if anyone knows how to make the Windows Live Mail screens a different color so that reading emails would be easier.

thanks for your help.

Reaction score
i cant find where or how to change the font and size of INCOMING MESSAGES. They all come in in tiny font and light grey. I am old and use Arial Black for outgoing but i cant figure out how to change if for incoming if that is possible. I also wish i could make the Windows Live Mail email screens generally look crisper in color. i fiddled around with the control panel to do that but nothing helps. Must be my eyes!!! Thanks for your help.l

Reaction score
i had tried clear type many times but it doesnt seem to help any with the actual incoming email messages, either in clarity or size of font used in the reply email.
do you know if you can use outlook express with win 7? i would go back to that email program in a minute if it would work.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You cannot use OE in W7. You can use Outlook but that is not free. You might try Thunderbird.

Note I suspect the fonts are fine. If you print the emails, is the text tiny? If me, I might uninstall Live Mail, reboot, and install it again.

If ClearType does not allow you view clean text with an LCD monitor (the reason CT was created) then that suggests your monitor has limited resolution, or is not set to its "native" resolution.

One last thing - in many programs, if you hold down the Ctrl key and press the + or - keys, you can zoom in and out.

Reaction score
thanks for the suggestions. i have tried uninstalling live mail and installing it again back when i had some problems with a corrupt email address, but now that everything is running smoothly i will try again. I have tried t bird a few tuimes and dont really like it,but it does come up much more clearly than live mail so i may ultiimately have to resort to that. Ditto on gmail which i hate using. I use Chrome and if it wasnt for their zoom feature i would probably have to stop using my pc as much as i do. Do you think my not using IE could have any impact on the live mail ? i really dont like the new versions of IE.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Do you think my not using IE could have any impact on the live mail ?
No.
i really dont like the new versions of IE.
Well, I think like many things, once you get used to the new versions, they become second nature. I happen to prefer IE9. For one, it continues to prove itself to be the most secure (though with good user discipline, that does not matter any more). But I really like the clean, uncluttered interface (surprisingly).

I think there is some other setting that is off, or perhaps corrupt. Did you try the fix in that link I provided above?

Reaction score
yes i did try both links. i have used the clear type tuner several times in the past but did it again..no help. on the foint size it doesnt seem to help on incoming emails...only outgoing.
i just downloaded thundeerbird again but it doesnt look any better...Must just be my failing eyesight...seriously. thanks agian.

Ask a Question