Windows live mail 'Backing up'

Reaction score
Good day to all.I have windows 7 & Using Windows live mail.I'm looking for a simple method of backing up my emails etc and a simple way to restore them incase of a major breakdown
Can someone please put me on the correct path to conquer this task.
Thanks.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
This is what I do. A separate HD is best, but a separate partition may suffice, but not so secure.
I have made a folder called "mailBox" on my second hard disk.

In "Options - Mail - Advanced tab - maintenance", I clisk the Store folder and elect to "Change".
I point this to my new Mailbox. All my Live mail folders etc, are created here.

If I choose to restore, or reinstall, Live Mail or the whole OS, this remains intact. I then, on reinstalling Live Mail, point again to the "mailbox". It picks up exactly where it left off, with all the old mail, deleted etc, intact.

Reaction score
davehc.That sound's quite easy to me,On the restore point I select 'Import'Then select the backup folder.I will follow your method,As I have a second HDD and I can make a folder there.Would it be okay to make sub folders in that main folder dated every time I do a backup,
ie.14th Dec 2011,Next one 14th Jan 2012.Does that sound okay?

Thanks for info.
Merry Xmas.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You can. Any day that is suitable to you. I normally create extra folders from within Live mail - maybe you do also.

Reaction score
Many thanks for the input.Regarding the '',On the restore point I select 'Import'Then select the backup folder.''Would that reinstall all the email's etc,And would they go into sub folders or will they restore to what they were before individual folders?

Thanks for info.
Merry Xmas.:)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Difficult to answer at this stage. If you restore, say, now, the restore will undoubtably have your earlier mailbox, so you will ten have to repoint it in the advanced tab, to your new box.
But any restore, from the date forward of when you emply your new box, will automatically restore everything - deleted . inbox - the lot!
last. If, for any reason, you choose to reinstall Live mail, alone, or your entire OS, your merely, once again, indicate your new mailbix (which is still sitting there) through the advanced Tab, and it will return everything just as it was left.
Hope that is clear?

Reaction score
Yea.Thanks very much for all the info you provided,Will be okay now.
Have a nice Xmas wherever you are,I'm in south Wales Nr, Swansea.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
dirwy - hwyl fawr

( couple of years in my infancy in Llanharen!)

Ask a Question