Windows Help and Support won't provide any results

Reaction score
I'm in the desktop, not working in any application.
I hit F1 for help.
I get the window: "Windows Help and Support."
I enter text: the subject that I want information about.
The system replies "0 results for [text]."

I've searched the Web and had a support call with Microsoft: I have received no answers.
How can I fix this?

Reaction score
Windows 7 (+ SP1): click the start button. In the box where it states in italics "Search programs and files", enter the word 'Help'. When I do that, the choice of 'Help & Support' is made available. (If you're not referring to Win_7, ignore that and what follows).
For me, hitting F1 does nothing: I don't know why you think that doing that produces any 'Help' info. Perhaps my PC is configured different to yours.

The Mekon.

Reaction score
Hi, Mekon. Thanks for replying.

"Windows 7 (+ SP1): click the start button. In the box where it states in italics "Search programs and files", enter the word 'Help'. When I do that, the choice of 'Help & Support' is made available."

I've recently re-installed Windows 7 using the set of recovery DVDs that I made when the computer was first set up in, I think, 2012. I have actually done this reinstallation on two different hard drives. After each reinstallation, I ran all the available updates, and had the same issue with both of them! Then, I called my son, who is 2,500 miles away and using Windows 7 on a different machine: he also can't get any results when duplicating my process within "Windows Help and Support."

Just for the hell of it, I reproduced what you did, beginning with the Start button. I entered the word "help," and hit <Enter> . Windows promptly opened my Firefox browser and loaded a recently-visited page about a different software product! This, obviously, is not what's supposed to happen, but I think that it's a different problem.

"For me, hitting F1 does nothing: I don't know why you think that doing that produces any 'Help' info. Perhaps my PC is configured different to yours."

For your information, I have been using Microsoft operating systems since 1984, as well as software from many sources. I've also worked in this industry. <F1> has been the standard help keystroke for all these years: <F1> is the classic computer command for help!

Microsoft has put out a number of statements to professionals indicating that they no longer support their former Help methods in applications, and urging them to change to the newer system. However, what I'm talking about is not within any application, but within "raw" Windows itself: I'm just on the native Windows desktop.

And in this environment, the Help and Support window works every time when I press the time-honored keystroke for it: <F1>.
The issue that persists is that if I try to search for anything in this window, it finds nothing. I'm beginning to accept that this function may have degraded for everybody and not worry about it any more. To be honest, yes, since 1984, I've found Mosoft's explanations for things to be difficult to understand, and, thanks to the internet, I usually get clearer answers from other sources.

One thing that I've found Microsoft's embedded help good for is that when one gets an answer, the text often contains embedded links that are useful. So, I do miss that.

I hope that my issue is clearer now.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

► You wrote:
Just for the hell of it, I reproduced what you did, beginning with the Start button. I entered the word "help," and hit <Enter> . Windows promptly opened my Firefox browser and loaded a recently-visited page about a different software product! This, obviously, is not what's supposed to happen, but I think that it's a different problem.

► My response.
Which is quite different to what happens here. I can only conclude that your Windows 7 configuration is different to mine. Perhaps other members here can add to this thread to help you further.

► You also wrote:
For your information, I have been using Microsoft operating systems since 1984, as well as software from many sources. I've also worked in this industry. <F1> has been the standard help keystroke for all these years: <F1> is the classic computer command for help!

► My response.
And for your information, my professional experience is much the same. As regards Windows 7, compared to all the other MS operating systems I've used in the past, Windows 7 is substantially different - which takes me back to my comment above.
I don't think that there's anything more I can add to try to help.

Alan the Mekon.

Reaction score
This is an interesting exchange of thoughts, but maybe a third-party stepping in can clear up what happens on my so simple third-party machine when I hit the Numero Uno Function Key.

Microsoft directed me to a page that had "Internet Explorer help" (lower-case "h" drives me nutso!) as the first selection at almost the top of the page.

Below that I see "Get more support" with the three below that:
Microsoft Community // Microsoft Edge help // Contact support

Then I see the standard menu for all sorts of Microsoft goodies and education and the company president's phone number and an invitation to Mr. Gates' next Christmas Party, because he loves me so much.

And maybe it would help others that show up here to have a link to the Wikipedia page on these function leys, if that is allowed here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Function_key

Last edited:

Ask a Question