Windows 7 Random Reboots

Reaction score
My Windows 7 Ultimate system has recently started rebooting at random. This is not a BSOD, it just reboots. Sometimes it can run for nearly 12 hours without any errors and then it will reboot. I noticed this problem particularly after a recent Windows Update. Right after installing the update (including the Office 2010 update as well), I also installed the latest version of Oracle Virtual Box. The system reset abruptly after the install. So, after trying to fix a few things, which I will get to, I decided to restore to an earlier restore point. Still no luck.

I checked the System Logs and found that there was a repeated warning:

Microsoft Antimalware Real-Time Protection feature has encountered an error and failed.
Feature: Behavior Monitoring
Error Code: 0x80004005
Error description: Unspecified error
Reason: The filter driver requires an up-to-date engine in order to function. You must install the latest definition updates in order to enable real-time protection.

I also decided to get rid of ATI CCC (Catalyst Control Center).

After the restore, I also noticed this error in addition to the MSE error:

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
AFD
CSC
DfsC
discache
MpFilter
NetBIOS
NetBT
nsiproxy
Psched
rdbss
Soluto
spldr
tdx
VBoxDrv
VBoxUSBMon
Wanarpv6
WfpLwf

I turned off all non-Microsoft services and rebooted. So far, so good and I am typing this on the system, hoping it won't crash again.

Funny thing is that I have a dual-boot setup with the other OS being Ubuntu 11.04. I don't have any problems there so I am trying to figure out which driver, if it is a driver problem, could be causing this. I don't recall installing any new drivers recently except one for my onboard Ethernet controller. Could anyone help please?

Reaction score
Hi,

Try to boot in safe mode and verify if the computer works fine without rebooting. To boot to the desktop in safe mode keep tapping F8 key during restart. Once you see the option to boot in safe mode select it and press enter.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

If the computer works fine in safe mode, you try to put the computer in clean boot state to make sure that third party applications are not causing this issue with computer performance.

To perform a clean boot, follow the steps below:
1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
5. Click OK.
6. When you are prompted, click Restart.
7. After the computer starts, check if it works normally.

Ask a Question