Windows 7 Pro Upgrade... and clean install?

Reaction score
Hello to all, and sorry in advance if this is covered somewhere that I missed while trolling the boards...

I am about to do some major changes to the hardware of my computer system (read: build an *almost* entirely new system) but found one horrible draw-back. I have my Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Upgrade DVD w/ Product Key, and my Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit DVD. I have look EVERYWHERE and can't find the stinking packaging for the Vista DVD, which means I can't locate that product key. They are both licensed, legit versions of the software, neither of which (I think) I am going to be able to use without that Vista Key.

So, my question is this. If I download an .iso version of 7 Pro 64-Bit, am I going to be able to use my Win7 Pro 64-bit Upgrade product key to install the OS? If not, is there some way I can pull the Vista product key from Windows before I do the update? I know I can always just buy a system-builder copy of Windows 7, but I hate to spend the money simply because I can't locate a product key from ~7 years ago...

Reaction score
There are some programs out there the will give you all your product key codes which you can either print out of right down. I use Belarc Advisor..

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

To answer your question; I think so but not sure 100%.

Well, no love there... It did give me the Win 7 Pro Upgrade Key, but that was the one I already had. Thank you for the suggestion, though!

Any other fresh ideas out there?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
So you plan to move your Full version Vista upgraded to W7 to a new computer? All you need is the W7 product key. Since you have an upgrade key you may need to do a "double install" but you do not need to install Vista and then run the upgrade to W7, you simply install the W7 upgrade edition twice.

Reaction score
So you plan to move your Full version Vista upgraded to W7 to a new computer? All you need is the W7 product key. Since you have an upgrade key you may need to do a "double install" but you do not need to install Vista and then run the upgrade to W7, you simply install the W7 upgrade edition twice.

I had never heard of this before, and is probably exactly what I needed. Thank you very much, I will give it a try as soon as I get the new equipment together.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes, it's the same situation if your hard drive crashes and you have to reinstall on a brand new replacement hard drive.

Ask a Question