Windows 7 pre release

Reaction score
The Pre release version of windows 7 I have in a virtual machine just told me I have 7 ( thats funny windows 7 and 7 :) ) more days left before it will stop working... Oh darn :D lol
See I use Linux and I don't have Windows 7 installed ( it used to be installed ) So I use virtual machines to help me walk you guys through stuff :( but don't worry I will figure something out, which probably means going to the store to buy some installation disks lol. Not only too help you fine people of course, but also because I walk allot of other people through stuff over the phone :D

So anyway just letting you guys know whats been smacking me in the face lately lol :)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You can download and use for 90 days a free trial of Windows 7 Enterprise, straight from the Microsoft Downloads Center. It has to be activated within 10 days. That will buy you some time to work with.

Reaction score
Thanks those are really good ideas guys! Do I have to set my computers internal date back? or can I change the system date in VM? Probably a stupid question but I just started using VM not to long ago and plus I don't even explore its features lol

Reaction score
Actually I don't know for sure if it will work. It was an idea with no proof. :)
I've not used VM myself but interested enough to eventually upgrade so I can try it out someday.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Nah, your VM will update the time within a few seconds after you fire it up. Funny thing that you mention that, whenever I start mine, the date and time when I last closed it appears. The first time I noticed it, I thought something was wrong with my system. I just opened it again, to make sure. It says "restoring VM state", the date & time updated in a couple of seconds. Being that it's installed here, you would think that it keeps up the time, but it doesn't. It's good to have, beats dualbooting for sure. I originally installed it for printing support, but there's other good uses for it, too.

Reaction score
Yeah VM's haven't let me down yet :) I am shocked at just how much use I can pull out of them. I'm going to buy Win 7 my next question is which is better for just guiding users through stuff, Windows 7 home edition, or Windows 7 Ultimate? I figure the Ultimate has all the features and would be more useful. I would also like to know how many different times Microsoft lets you install their product on computers because technicaly I want to intstall it on the same computer, im just going to use virtual machines.

Reaction score
Technically, they want you to purchase a license for every machine you use there software on. They even want you to purchase a separate license for every copy installed on the same machine (This one doesn't make since to me at all).

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
VM Player (not to be mistaken with VM Lite) can be downloaded free of charge from File Hippo. It's in the lower left corner under Developer Tools. I have three VM's installed within it, at no charge to me. There are some from the same company that sold and licensed, but not this one. The only thing (another reason I upgraded my RAM) is that when using the player, you have to "lend" some of your RAM to run it. It doesn't perform good with 2GB RAM (64 bit), but does OK if you have 2GB 32 bit. With 64 bit, you need more RAM installed to lend to the player. Other than that, it's simple to use.

Reaction score
I just had a breath taking idea guys :D This computer came pre-installed with Windows 7 64-bit when I bought it, So what I think I'm going to do is download the 32-bit version ISO of windows 7 and install it in a virtual machine using my valid product key. I mean its legal right? I will only have one copy of windows on my machine. Besides even though most of these big software company's say only one copy, they usually don't care if you install it on a couple of computers. But im sure installing more then a few times it starts to become pirating.

My other idea is that I can buy a cheap hard drive to install Windows 7 on, but I think I will stick to the VM idea.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You bought the computer with 7 installed (64 bit). It doesn't matter whether you have 64 or 32 bit, the activation key is the same for both. Just make sure you get the same version (home premium, pro). I've never run 7 in a VM, not 100% positive it will work, but it's a decent chance it will. If not, you'll have to settle for a dual boot setup, in which case you may as well go with 64 bit. If you were asking me about a dual boot, I know that would work almost 100% of the time. Try the VM and see, that's all you can do.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I'm using a nice little program called Virtual Box that runs Windows 7 just fine for me (as well as XP and Linux Mint and Chrome and whatever OS I've thrown at it)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'm using VM Player, and it does good for me. I'm running it on Windows 7, within it are XP Pro SP3, Win 2K Pro and Linux Mint 8. It's free and a good product. Can be downloaded from File Hippo. All three OS's runs and updates with no problem.

Reaction score
OMG It worked better then I thought it would :D It installed and runs perfect. I got my duel monitors set up so I can have windows 7 on one screen and Linux on the other and there is full mouse integration. In short this is freaking cool!!! Windows 7 works perfectly in virtual machines and its hard to tell its even a VM, this is just too cool.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I figured it would work for you, but I've never run Windows 7 in a VM, so I couldn't 100% say it would work. I've been only using it on a regular basis less than a month. You can't beat it for trying out an OS (especially Linux). Those "live CD's" do not give you a fully updated OS to evaluate, and the performance is slower. If you were to base the performance by live CD, it would be no good, too slow. Glad that it worked out for you.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
During the Windows 7 Beta phases, a lot of users were testing Windows 7 in VM along with either their XP or Vista setups.

I have never really had a desire for using VM but I understand it's purpose and why people use it.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
During the Windows 7 Beta phases, a lot of users were testing Windows 7 in VM along with either their XP or Vista setups.

I have never really had a desire for using VM but I understand it's purpose and why people use it.
Once you start using one, that is, if you like to try and experiment and use alternative computing (other OS's than 7), they're great. You can remove them at any time you wish, and there's no partitioning or dualbooting involved. The installed OS works just like your Windows 7 does. It brings older OS's (XP Pro/Win 2K Pro) back to life and looks really good on your newer screen. There's so many posts on this forum involving printers that are ancient. This can get them up and running. The possibilities are unlimited as to what you can do.

Ask a Question