windows 7 partitioning

Reaction score
hi
I bought a HP laptop with pre-installed windows 7 a year back. Unknowingly I have shrinked the OS drive.Whenever I am starting partitioning, I am getting this message 'the operations you selected will convert the selected basic disk to dynamic disk. if u convert the disk to dynamic, you will not be able to start installed OS from any volume on the disk( except current boot vol).r u want to continue?' Kindly help me. I don't know what to do now. Thanks in advance.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
"Whenever you are starting partitioning"

What exactly does that mean? You already shrunk the drive, partitioning would require formatting that unallocated space into a new NTFS file system if you want to use it as a Windows partition.

Where is this error, and what exactly are you trying to do when the message comes up.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It looks like you have reachedthe maximum allowed partitions (4). The message has popped up, because, if you now, as hinted, convert the disk to a dynamic one, you will exceed the quota.
Now, so that ypu may have another partition, it can only be of a type called Logical Extended. You need to changet one of the Primary partitions to a Logical Extended partition
You will have to provide a snapshot of your set up, before anyone can assist you.
That would be through the Control panel - Administrative Tools - Computer management - Disk Management. use the snipping tool to take a picture and post it.

Reaction score
partition hard drive for windows 7. :)

You got the error message because the hard disk already contained four primary partitions. as we know, HP or DELL windows 7 laptop usually contain hide partition and recovery partition, HP Tool partition, system reserved partition and HP recovery partition (All of them are primary partitions). so you can not create new partition unless converting basic disk to dynamic disk.
Solutions:
1. If you are not running Windows 7 Home, you could choose convert basic disk to dynamic disk.(Only Windows 7 Home can not support dynamic disk)
2. Delete one primary partition; create logical partition by using some 3rd party tools:
http://www.extend-partition.com/resource/how-to-partition-a-hard-drive-in-windows7.html
Of course, Windows 7 Disk Management could automatically create logical partition when there are three primary partitions.
3. Convert several primary partitions to logical partitions, after that, you could create partition without any limitation.
Hope these are helpful for solving your problem. :)

Ask a Question