Windows 7 on SSD

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Just wondering if any members have Windows 7 on a SSD ? as i am considering building a new Computer just for Windows 7 Pro, i would love to hear of any experiences concerning SSD.

Reaction score
Same here Veedaz - I'm also thinking about going SSD
"One 64GB SSD" or "Two 32GB SSD in a Raid Config"
My question - Would there be an advantage to a SSD raid config over a single SSD?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Clifford

A big advantage (speed) have a look at [ame="[MEDIA=youtube]96dWOEa4Djs[/MEDIA]"]This[/ame]

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
There's a good thread on it here with some very handy comments from members running Windows 7 on SSDs : https://www.w7forums.com/got-ssd-t500.html

SSDs are coming down in price, but they are still comparatively expensive. I'm looking forward to the day we don't need mechanical drives anymore :)

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Ian said
I'm looking forward to the day we don't need mechanical drives anymore
Second that Ian and i see SSD prices dropping every other month :)

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Looking around the Net I'm seeing some very good prices (OCZ Vertex Series 30GB SATAII £79) :cool: there looking affordable !

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
30GB is barely enough for the Windows 7 installation, you'll probably run out of room before you finish installing your programs. ;)

$2 per GB is a new low for SSDs, but they still have a ways to drop...

Reaction score
Pfft. I run Windows 7 on a 20GB partition. Just be a good user and don't install anything but the essentials to C:, and you'll be fine.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I'm hoping to put 2 or more in RAID wife permitting the £.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I have decided on this, i wont need to go RAID and the two Seagate 750GB HDDs installed at present in my main rig will be used as external storage drives, its not cheap but its what i want :)

Offering your system the incredible performance of flash-based technology, the OCZ Vertex Series delivers the performance and reliability of SSDs at less price per gigabyte than other high speed offerings currently on the market. The OCZ Vertex Series is the result of all the latest breakthroughs in SSD technology, including new architecture and controller design, blazing 250MB/sec read and 180MB/sec write speeds and featuring 64MB onboard cache. The OCZ Vertex drives feature a durable yet lightweight alloy housing, and because OCZ SSDs have no moving parts, the drives are more rugged than traditional hard drives. Designed for ultimate reliability, Vertex Series SSDs have an excellent 1.5 million hour mean time before failure (MTBF) ensuring peace of mind over the long term.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Pfft. I run Windows 7 on a 20GB partition. Just be a good user and don't install anything but the essentials to C:, and you'll be fine.
Exactly my point. An SSD is as valuable with programs as it is for the OS files, half of the advantages to having an SSD are given up to crunch the OS into one and keep the program files on a regular hard drive. Especially if the SSD lacks room to handle temporary files from disk intensive programs, which means regular programs will only load and run as fast as the hard drive allows. I do agree that basic data storage should be left up to a secondary system hard drive.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
My OCZ Vertex SSD just arrived glad i got the 2.5" to 3.5" Hard Drive Adapter, its tiny ! :lol:

Ask a Question