Install Windows 7 on SSD

Reaction score
I just got a new laptop for christmas and bought an OCZ SSD to put the OS and programs on and use the hard drive it came with as data storage, But currently i can not get the OS to install onto the ssd, i used easeus and it did not work, then i tried the disc image i made when i first got the laptop and that didnt work, now the drive wont show up on a windows 7 install disc, the drive is formatted as NTFS too. any help is appreciated

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
It's really not recommended to clone or image your hard drive OS to the SSD. A new fresh clean install is recommended.

Since you have a laptop that's new I can safely assume that you DID NOT receiving any "restore discs" or such from the laptop maker? IMO, that is just wrong, but then that's the way they do thing these days.

Make sure you put your SSD on the 0 port since that is the first port to boot up in a notebook setup.

You probably have Windows 7 Home Premium and your laptop is probably 64-bit capable too. Download an ISO image of the DVD install disk from the links below.

32-bit Windows 7 Home Premium x86 ISO
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent..../X15-65732.iso

64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium x64 ISO
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent..../X15-65733.iso

Burn the ISO to a quality blank DVD using ImgBurn at no faster than 8X speed and then use the Verify feature to ensure the burn went well.

Then you can install to your SSD. You can use the current product key you have as it will work. It is the key that signifies whether or not the install is a full retail, upgrade or OEM install, not the DVD install disk.

Also, check out this handy optimization guide from TweakTown. TweakTown's Solid State Drive Optimization Guide

Please note that it has been updated and that some of the info is more current now. The new updated Intel RST or Rapid Storage Technology drivers have been updated as of 12-15-2010. The link they give is for the older v9.6 driver but takes you automatically to the newer 10.​​1.​​0.​​1008 version. Plus it is now better than the MS AHCI driver for SSD operation.

You need to be sure the AHCI option is enabled in your notebook's BIOS settings and saved. Load the RST drivers to a flash thumb drive so they're handy when you are installing Windows 7.

Also download this handy little application, which is free to tweak the Windows 7 settings for optimization of it for SSD use.

SSD Tweaker 1.7 - Dec-2010
Optimise Windows XP, Vista and 7 for SSD Drives

Last edited:
Reaction score
ok i put the windows install disc in and there is no drive under the option where you choose the drive to install. i have my drive on Port0 but the disc wont recognize my drive

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Have you set your SATA ports to AHCI mode? What model and brand of laptop do you have?

Try this fix from the Microsoft Social Answers webpage:

1. Does the BIOS show the SSD at all? I would check to see that it's indeed being picked up by the BIOS and if not, check to be sure it's fully engaged in the mount.
  2. Occasionally, Windows setup can chuck a fit when it discovers a drive with an invalid MBR/boot sector and won't install to it. To fix this, you could try the following
  3. Boot up Windows 7 disc.
  4. When the welcome screen comes up on Windows Setup, press Shift + F10, which will display a command prompt.
  5. Type "diskpart" (no quotes) and press enter.
  6. Type "list disk" and press enter.
  7. Hopefully you can see your SSD in the list. You should see a number identifying it. Now type "select disk X" (where X is the number identifying your SSD) and press enter.
  8. Type "clean" and press enter. This will write a blank MBR, YOU WILL LOSE ANY DATA ON THE SSD if you did have anything on it.
  9. Reboot and it should show up and continue to install now.

Hopefully one of these tips helps

Reaction score
yes i do have the ports set to ACHI mode, i have an asus n73jq. right now im downloading an update from ocz to update the firmware, hopefully that will help

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Okay, I should have mentioned that one should always have the latest firmware installed on the SSD prior to doing a Windows 7 install.

Keep us posted on how things are going for you... the reason I say this is because I am getting a Mushkin Callisto Deluxe 60 GB SSD in about two weeks or so.

Reaction score
i updated the firmware and it installed no problem! its very quick :) thanks for your help btw!

Reaction score
Hi KsKnightmare

Which OCZ series did you purchase?

I have been watching Vertex 2 series and waiting for SSD prices to drop into my price range. I must admit, I'm starting to get impatient and may decide to bite the bullet.

@Nibs
You keep talking about the Mushkin name brand, you may turn me to purchasing them. So far, I've not heard any negative reports. Since you first mentioned the namebrand, I've seen a few others posting about them.

Ask a Question