Windows 7 not recognizing full 4 gigs

Reaction score
Hello all, first poster here. I am sorry if this has been posted before but I took a quick scan through various threads and couldn't find a solution for my problem. I recently upgraded from windows XP to windows 7. While in XP I had 2.4 gigs of RAM shown, I have 4 gigs. After I upgraded to windows 7 to maximize my full 4 gigs it seems as if it still only recognizes 2.4 gigs. I tried going through all the various options and couldn't find a legit way to fix my problem, so I came here. Is there anyone who can tell me how exactly to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums, stevo7390! Hope your new year is going well for you. About your computer, is it a 32 or 64 bit? This would be a good starting point to helping answer your question. Post back with some more specs, the more the better.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
How is your Ram configured? If you have 4 x 1GBs, I would suspect you have a bad strip. The operating system, and the graphics card, sometimes, take a little, but that is a rather unusual amount.
Check if the ram is seated properly, or run the memcheck.
Otherwise, you can try the standard command, and see if you can squeeze it up a little:
Find the Command Prompt in "Accessories" in the Start menu. Right Click and select "Run as Administrator".
2. At the command prompt, enter "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072"
3. Restart the computer.

Ask a Question