Windows 7 Minimum Requirements - Discussion

Reaction score
Having run it -- it ran well, by the way -- on an 800MHz Intel Atom with 1 and 2GB of memory, I'd say these specs aren't too far off at all.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I should mention that these threads in the discussion forum are auto-generated when creating an article - I just added a little one for people searching for the min requirements of W7 :) Once time goes by and we get something more concrete, I'll add some more detail to it.

Over Easter weekend I only had my laptop with me, and I was also surprised to find how well Windows 7 performs on a low spec machine. After some tweaking the speedstep settings in the BIOS, I got the Intel Centrino CPU to run at 600Mhz, rather than 1.3GHz (with the full 512MB ram the laptop has). It ran okay... about the same as XP on the other partition. I would actually consider putting Windows 7 on the laptop as the primary OS once it is fully released.

After searching the net, I found someone running Windows 7 at 500Mhz. I'd be interested to know if it has run on anything slower :)

Reaction score
Windows is finally catching up with GNU/Linux and Mac OS X when it comes to performance and stability.

Reaction score
Memory Limits: Windows 7

Physical Memory Limits: Windows 7

The following table specifies the limits on physical memory for Windows 7.

Version = 32-bit --- 64-bit
Windows 7 Ultimate = 4 Gb --- 192 Gb
Windows 7 Enterprise = 4 Gb --- 192 Gb
Windows 7 Professional = 4 Gb --- 192 Gb
Windows 7 Home Premium = 4 Gb --- 16 Gb
Windows 7 Home Basic= 4 Gb --- 8 Gb
Windows 7 Starter = 2 Gb --- 2 Gb

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(VS.85).aspx

Ask a Question