Windows 7 loading from USB

Reaction score
I have looked around, but can't seem to find what I am looking for.

Ubuntu has a version now that allows you to run ubuntu from the CD/USB drive without installing anything. Does anyone have a solution like this for Windows 7?

Essentually I want to be able to walk up to anyones computer, insert my USB drive and have it start up from the USB to load my programs and files. I have looked into partitioning a USB drive, which has come up failed so far. I figure with the virtualization of Servers and PCs again, that by now someone would have a way to do this.

Pointing me in the right dicection or any information you can provide to help me achieve my goal would be appreciated. Also if no one has a possible solution does anyone know how to create an iso of windows 7. I don' t need the iso just need to create one from my PC.

Thanks,

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
sharpear, welcome to the forum! There are many sites that claims that you can run 7 from a flash/USB drive, some with detailed instructions, but I've not attempted this.

However, some versions of Windows can be run on WD Passport drives. I don't know about now, but they used to have a "sync" software on the drives. This allows you to "carry your computer with you", and you can run it on another computer. I done this with XP, but haven't attempted it with Win 7.

In fact, I formatted the drive, and it's being used to store various .iso images for future installs.

You may want to consider that option. Too, there was a thread, sometime back, where a member figured out how to run Win 7 through the DVD ROM. But that would take some tinkering with the files, and I'm just not sure how legal it is. I don't remember the thread title, mabye one of the mods will see this thread and post it for you.

I hope that you find a solution that meets your needs.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Ask a Question