SOLVED windows 7 64bit loading as 32bit??

Reaction score
hi i have recently built a new p.c, spec as follows.
processor amd phenom II x4 965
gigabit mboard
8gb of ddr3 memory.

Problem is i have loaded the 64bit edition of windows 7 home premium into the cd.
Everytime it installs it keeps installing as a 32bit operating system not the 64bit which is what its supposed to be. it says 64bit on the dvd?????
Any clues as to why it is doing this i have only recently bought th OS disks, so this is fresh build fresh disks.
I am confused ;-(

any help appreciated

Reaction score
Vindi~

Some other specifications would be of help...

Such as ..

Video Card (on board or independent w/model/brand)

Mboard Model( not just the name)

and thats just to name 2 things I'm sure other will come up with other specs that are needed .

Just because your system has a 64 Bit capable Processor Doesn't necessarily mean that your entire system would be 64 bit capable .. there are quite a few variables that come into play .. there could be something else that is holding up your installation of a 64 Bit operating system.

Just a suggestion.
~LoneWolf

Reaction score
mboard is a gigabyte 880ga-ud3h
video is the onboard graphics, which is ati radeon hd4250.

Reaction score
Vindi~
After Looking at the information you gave...

MY suggestion, at this point, would to be download and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

That will give you a "snapshot" of what version of Windows 7 you can run on your system.. that way .. if need... be you can upgrade accordingly.

Good Luck.

~LoneWolf

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Well, I don't know where you got your install DVD of Windows 7, but I can tell you it's not a legitimate one. Microsoft only puts one version of Windows 7 on each install DVD. When you buy the Upgrade or Retail packs, they come with two DVDs, one is 32-bit and the other is 64-bit. OEM packs only have one disc, one or the other but not both. It is not possible for a genuine Windows 7 DVD to install a version other than what's stated on the disc, unless it is a screw up at the pressing facility, which I doubt.

So the DVD to me, sounds like one of those all-in-one DVDs from a P2P site.

Give us some more info.

Reaction score
Greetings~

Nib~

Ya know I totally forgot about the fact that the Win 7 DVD that the O.P. was talking about may not be Legit..

DUHHHH on me for that one :eek: .. good catch.

~LoneWolf

Reaction score
I should have caught that too. I read this post many times trying to figure it out

Reaction score
OK i recieved a box with windows 7 home premium, it was in a sealed container with a sticker on the top which got split after opening inside are 2 dvd's 1 which says 32bit and the other says 64bit, inside a card with the product key on it, both disks are green in the middle, and gold round the outside and some sort of images in the cetner of the disks. And yes i am putting the 64bit dvd in and not the 32bit version, this is why i am confused as to why it is installing as 32bit and not 64bit.

Reaction score
ok i have since been to microsofts website on how to check if a dvd is genuine, it said that the gold holographic features around the disk are part of the dvd and cannot be removed, low and behold i can lift it off with my finger nail, its a big sticker grrrrrrrr. Back to ebay with this one, hope i can get my money back, paid with paypal so i should be protected. Looks like visiting a shop this time.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I hope you're able to get your money back. eBay is pretty diligent about these things. Also PayPal should be able to help you out too. It may take up to 30 days though, so be patient.

Also, the Genuine Product Key would have been on a C.O.A. label (Certificate Of Authenticity) with holographic tape and other security features. The label would also be with an adhesive backing to apply to the computer it was installed on.

The holographic features on the DVD disc are integrated into the disc. NO STICKERS AT ALL! It's layered between the plastic.

Ask a Question