Windows 7 Loaded, No boot after option to load from CD/DVD - Hangs

Reaction score
Wow. Hundreds of threads about booting issues. Did not find one like this. Or I did not recognize it. This is my first post, hope to get it right the first time.

Environment: GigaByte Motherboard GA-81945P-G - Circa 2006. Intel 945P Express chipset. Pentium 4 3Ghz Processor. GigaRaid storage controller running IT8212 chipset. Only have XP drivers for this chipset, can't find anything newer - loads when Windows 7 install disc asks for them just fine. Using 2 brand new EIDE 500GB drives, configured as Raid 1. No issues setting that up and as I said, Windows 7 finally installed after I disconnected everything but a mouse, keyboard, new PNY GeForce 9400 GT Graphics Card (Direct X 10 Capable), 3GB of DRR2 memory and these two drives. Nothing else connected. Install completed.

So I finally get Windows 7 to install (was an upgrade disk, not new install disk), installed once, hung several times as I disconnected every device I could think of, and then reistalled over itself to finally get the product key to take. After 7 tries, got it to take and could cruise around the bare environement. No issues. Then, removed Windows install disk and Raid controller driver floppy (yes, floppy). Rebooted. I see the drive config come up fine (two drives, Raid 1), interrupt settings just fine. Then it hits priority to check boot from CD/DVD (none in the drives on this boot) and then it hangs. Drive light activity for HDD lights hard blue. And stays that way from what I can tell would be eternity. Can't get it to take safe mode (F8). Nothing. I am worried this is a noncompatible RAID controller issue but what does not make sense is that Win 7 took those XP IT8212 drivers and installed Win 7, no complaits.

Any ideas. 16 hours and 400+ bucks into converting from XP for WHAT? I hope Win 7 is amazing!.

Thanks for any help. Sorry for being verbose but I hope it helps.

Reaction score
With no luck, I decided to try (2) 1TB SATA drives. I removed all IDE from the motherboard and configured the BIOS for the new SATA environment. All looked good. Saw both drives in the BIOS. Entered RAID utility and there are no drives present at all. Tried 2 hours of comibinations within BIOS and cabling. Still never saw the drives in the RAID utility. Interesting because with IDE, they showed up in the RAID utility and configured a mirrored array. The IDE just would not boot. Starting to think the Raid Controller is on the fritz......

Ask a Question