Windows 7 installation is so frustrating

Reaction score
I have tried to install windows 7 four times today but every time it does the last restart and says preparing for first use or what ever that message says, I get the ERROR in red writing and it's say's that is can not open c:\recovery.dat.

I originally had a hidden recovery partition, a C: & D: partition. I removed the d: partition so I only had the recovery and c: partition and installed windows 7 to c: but got the error message.

Had all three partitions and installed to c: got the message and tried to install to d: but still got the message.

During the installation when the system restarts itself I get the dual boot screen come up and I can choose either vista or windows 7, I leave it to time out and it starts to load windows 7 with windows 7 loading screen. But after the the last restart I don't get dual boot option and it loads the Vista O/S adn then gives me that message!

I don't really want to remove the recovery partition as good old Asus didn't provide a recovery CD with the laptop only the recovery partition!!!

If some can help me out please do as I am slowly going bald!!!

Cheers

G

Reaction score
Hi Garetht - Welcome to w7forums

I have a question do you still have a way to access the recovery console? When you tried to install Windows 7 the Master Boot Record may have been over written. Therefore overwriting the option to start the recovery console.

System recovery may place the files windows is looking for back on C drive. Windows install DVD is designed with recovery options. You may have removed files needed for this process.

Another option you may have is to create a backup image of the recovery partition. Doing so would allow you to place it back anytime in the future. This would also give you the option to clear up the drive space taken with the recovery partition. There is free utilities for Seagate/Maxtor and WD that will image your partition.

Reaction score
Not sure if this helps, but did you delete the partition and recreate it, then format it before installing 7 on it? I used to have similar problems until I started doing that and doing fresh installs when upgrading OS'. I also noticed you are dual booting. Is that your intention?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I don't know if I'll be any help or not. Sounds like things are rather "mucked up" as the Brits would say.

I believe, IMHO, that it would be best for you to completely wipe your hard drive clean of all partitions and reformat it. Then do a clean install of Windows 7 and you should be okay. I know this is drastic but they way you have done it has confused the OS's. Windows 7 is a little persnickety when it comes to partitions and such. I would wipe the hard drive clean and then setup at least a 40GB partition for the OS installation, reserving the remaining hard drive space for another partition. Format all partitions. Windows 7 will set aside a 100MB hidden partition which it uses for the Master Boot, etc. Install the OS to the 40GB partition and your good to go.

You should be able order a recovery disk from ASUS if you decide you need it. I believe when you deleted that partition is when problems began for you.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Reaction score
WoooHooooooo

I have managed to install everything now.

I deleted the recovery partition and installed Windows 7 and everything is working perfectly.

Appreciate all the helps.

Cheers

G

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I have managed to install everything now.

I deleted the recovery partition and installed Windows 7 and everything is working perfectly.

Appreciate all the helps.

Cheers

G
That's Great! Glad it all worked out for ya!

Ask a Question