Windows 7 Install: Select A Driver To Install

Reaction score
I have recently finished building my computer and brought a copy of windows 7 (home premium) 64bit to go with it. But when I try to install I never get past "collecting information" where I am being asked to "Select A Driver To Install" as a driver for my "DVD Device" is missing (apparently). I assumed that the driver I needed would be on my motherboard driver disk. I clicked the disk and told it to "rescan" and it only said "There's no device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers". When I navigate directly to the sata,raid & ide drivers sometimes I get a: nVidia nForce Serial ATA Controller on the screen but when I click on that it says the same thing after about 10 seconds or tells me it cannot install and I need to get a new driver from my distributor (I have tried the drivers of the Asus website but the same result). What do I do?

PC:
AMD Phemon X4 965 @ 3.4ghz (black edition)
2gb RAM
250gb HD (sata)
DVD-ROM (IDE)

Note: it's brand new and doesn't have an existing windows installation.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
iCow, welcome to the forum! I've had this very same thing happen to me, when I downloaded Windows install discs from TechNet. It only happened a couple of times, and I don't know why it did. When I reburned the discs, it installed fine.

My optical drive is a DVD-ROM (IDE) as yours is. I don't know if it's looking for a SATA DVD-ROM or not.

But what you can do, if you have access to another computer, is simply download another disc, it's free and legal. Just make sure that it's the same DVD (Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit).

You can download a replacement disc at:

http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-65733/X15.65733.iso

It is the same disc as the one you have, and should work. It's a 3GB download, so once you have it, burn it slow with your favorite software. I use both ImgBurn & XPBurnerCD, they both do good, just burn the file slow.

PS: If my link gives problems, just search X15.65733, it should be the first or second link down.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Last edited:
Reaction score
iCow, welcome to the forum! I've had this very same thing happen to me, when I downloaded Windows install discs from TechNet. It only happened a couple of times, and I don't know why it did. When I reburned the discs, it installed fine.

My optical drive is a DVD-ROM (IDE) as yours is. I don't know if it's looking for a SATA DVD-ROM or not.

But what you can do, if you have access to another computer, is simply download another disc, it's free and legal. Just make sure that it's the same DVD (Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit).

You can download a replacement disc at:

http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-65733/X15.65733.iso

It is the same disc as the one you have, and should work. It's a 3GB download, so once you have it, burn it slow with your favorite software. I use both ImgBurn & XPBurnerCD, they both do good, just burn the file slow.

PS: If my link gives problems, just search X15.65733, it should be the first or second link down.

Best of Luck,
Cat
My DVD Drive is IDE. The disks are from Microsoft so I doubt that they are burned badly.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Are you setting your DVD drive as the "First Boot Device" in the motherboard's BIOS? DVD drives don't need drivers, they're native in the MS Windows install process.

It needs to be set that way and reboot, then the install should automatically begin especially if the hard drive is blank with no existing OS on it.

Don't try to do an Upgrade install over an existing OS on the hard drive.

Reaction score
Are you setting your DVD drive as the "First Boot Device" in the motherboard's BIOS? DVD drives don't need drivers, they're native in the MS Windows install process.

It needs to be set that way and reboot, then the install should automatically begin especially if the hard drive is blank with no existing OS on it.

Don't try to do an Upgrade install over an existing OS on the hard drive.
It's already setup like this.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Since your DVD drive is IDE, first unplug any extra drives sharing the same IDE ribbon cable and then check to be sure the jumper pin on the back of the IDE hard is set to "Master".

Windows 7 DOES NOT LIKE the "Cable Select" setting for some reason.

Try that and see how it goes.

Oh and iCow, you don't need to keep quoting our posts, we know what you're replying to, Thanks!

Reaction score
I already had it like this. I have had the problem for a few days now so most of the stuff like that you can find on the net or is general knowledge I have found/worked out.

Ask a Question