SOLVED windows 7 install reboot loop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

reboot loop when installing windows 7. It copies/ expands all the files to 100%, then does a normal restart, It then comes up with starting windows> registering entries etc, the carries on finalising the install only to reboot itself?

After the reboot it gives me the windows recovery screen. If it tries to boot up it just goes into a reboot loop.

l. I have tried different BIOS settings, Optimising defaults, Load-Fail Safe Defaults, Creating New Partitions etc...Please can anyone help??

My Spec is as follows:-

Intel i7 930
mobo: x58 - Gigabyte
6GB RAM
1.5TB HDD
LG DVD drive
ATI HD 5870

Your help is much appreciated,

Regards

Reaction score
Hello dodid0,

This behavior can occur if any or some of the following conditions are true:
The Default value in the [Boot Loader] section of the Boot.ini file is missing or invalid.
Windows XP is not installed in the location specified in the Boot.ini file.
The Ntoskrnl.exe file is missing or damaged.
The partition path in the Boot.ini file is not set correctly.
General hardware failure.
Read here for further info:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477
Thanks again,
John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello dodid0,

This behavior can occur if any or some of the following conditions are true:
The Default value in the [Boot Loader] section of the Boot.ini file is missing or invalid.
Windows XP is not installed in the location specified in the Boot.ini file.
The Ntoskrnl.exe file is missing or damaged.
The partition path in the Boot.ini file is not set correctly.
General hardware failure.
Read here for further info:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477
Thanks again,
John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support
What does XP have to do in this? Did you just copy & paste from some random site? Oh, and thanks for what?

Anyway, enough blaming "John". What do you mean by "Recovery Screen"?

Reaction score
Thx for all the answers. Seems to be a problem of Windows 7 not working with certain hardware. I did 3 things, and one of them worked, so for anyone with this problem:

1. Put a monitor with a VGA cable, not HDMI
2.Take out 2 out of the 3 ram Diims I had
3. After system files expand on installation, and before the PC reboots, you have a 10 sec countdown... take OUT the installation CD, and let the comp reboot. Don't put the CD back on, you dont need it anymore.

good luck

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums dodid0 :)

3. After system files expand on installation, and before the PC reboots, you have a 10 sec countdown... take OUT the installation CD, and let the comp reboot. Don't put the CD back on, you dont need it anymore.
This option sounds like it was the most likely cause, but I'm glad it's working for you now :). Normally it should still work even if the DVD is left in place, as it picks up that the OS has already been installed, but perhaps there was a little glitch this time.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
finalising the install only to reboot itself?
To me it sounds like you keep pressing "any key" when the prompt comes up on reboot that says: Press any key to boot for CD/DVD".

As my Doctor told me once... Don't do that! You can leave the install DVD in until you're at the final desktop.

It's no big deal, just don't press any key when prompted by the POST screen after the initial install does it's first reboot.

It's only a 5 second wait so just chill and have another sip of beverage.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I see that's what you tried, I have always just left the DVD disc in until Windows 7 is completely finished with all it's setup and install.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE TO SELF: Why is it people keep insisting on calling the Windows 7 install disc a "CD" when it's a DVD! It may look like a CD, spin like a CD, even silvery shiny like a CD. It's not a CD... it's a DVD! :stupid:

MORE NOTE TO SELF: I can quit my ranting now! LOL! :alberteinstein:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Unbelieviable

Thx for all the answers. Seems to be a problem of Windows 7 not working with certain hardware. I did 3 things, and one of them worked, so for anyone with this problem:

1. Put a monitor with a VGA cable, not HDMI
2.Take out 2 out of the 3 ram Diims I had

good luck
After 2 day wrestling with this problem including numerous formats, hard disk changes, installs and loading hard drive of another computer with 7 installed that worked fine i took on board the suggestion about swap VGA for HDMI and the install finished perfectly. Microsoft need to look into this as the original install 9 months ago went without a hitch and the boot in safe mode /loop in normal mode first occurred after an update. Lucky had most backed up but now have to reinstall everything. Feel thay reached their peak with XP and should have left it there. No outlook express email ?? are they mad

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Hello Caracodon. I won't speak to the problem as ya mentioned you solved it, but I can say that Outlook Express Mail was replaced by Windows Live Mail, which comes with Windows 7. New name but most of the same functionality.

Reaction score
Most of the time its due to CD in the drive ... but rarely its a hardware fault.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
This thread was solved and is over 10 months old so I am closing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question