Windows 7 freezes

Reaction score
I found that with my freezing issue as soon as I disconnected my wireless G7 mouse and wireless keyboard no more freeze occured instantly. Crazy, but hey, that's exactly what happened. Wired G5, np what so ever.

If I have any more issues I'll report back! Still better than vista!

Reaction score
I noticed that most people experiencing such freezes have in common :

- a 64 bits version of Windows 7 or Windows Vista
- an Intel ICH8 or ICH9 family southbridge

I think there might be a bug in the x64 version of the Intel Matrix Storage drivers !

Reaction score
You are probably right about most being Intels, but that is because the majority of PC's come with Intels.

Mine is an AMD 9850 Quad 2.6 GHz and I had the freezing problems until I followed the steps described earlier in this thread.
There are also some slightly different fixes in the "MS Tech checking freezin issue" thread.

Reaction score
Thanks for the NIC suggestion. Running Win 7 on an older Dell and
I like to turn off computer, display, and printer at night. Turning off the
power strip at any point with XP didn't make any difference on XP
starting again. Win 7 seems to want to save entire state of computer
(all the programs that were running when you leave the computer)
and for many of us at home, it is not important. We are soooo used to
starting over !

Reaction score
Me too

Anyone found a solution yet?

I upgraded from Vista.

I walk away from the computer five or so minutes, come back and it is frozen

Reaction score
I just installed Windows 7 and it freezes too. Here are my specs :

Windows 7 Pro RTM
CPU : Intel Core I5
GPU : BFG Nvidia 8800GT
4gb DDR 3 1600mhz
G5 Wired
Corsair 650W PSU

I've changed my settings to higher performance and i havent got a freeze for 35 minutes. I had 3 in the previous hour. Since my components are all new except my video card, ill try to make sure they aren't the problem.

By the way, thanks for your help Ripose. Your post on page 6 is pretty useful.

Reaction score
Always glad to help Chuckdeg.
Thank you for posting back.

I really encourage EVERYONE who tries any fixes that are in these forums to post back, Good OR Bad! This way we can all learn.

Reaction score
Windows Freezing

I to am having problems with windows freezing.

My story is similar to many others. After I did a clean install of Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, everything seemed to work fine. Windows 7 was fast and snappy, all drives were recognized and I had a huge smile on my face. Then the updates began rolling in and the HP 1320 driver for my printer was the first to freeze windows 7 and cause problems. I uninstalled the driver and continued. The next update to cause problems was the Itunes update. I then uninstalled Itunes and went with media player.

After going a day without problems, they all began rolling in again. This time I am having a tough time getting my computer to post. I boot up my system, and it freezes at the motherboard startup screen and does not move. Here are my system specs.
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
E8400 no overclock
GTX 260
120 gig SSD Transcend (boot drive)
WD 640 caviar black (backup drive)

I unplugged my backup hard drive and my system booted. I then shut down my computer plugged in the backup hard drive, and my system booted like nothing happened. Now every other time I shut down my computer it freezes at the motherboard startup screen and will not proceed.

I just flashed my bios, and I've updated every driver. I'll reply back and let everybody know if anything was solved. I just wanted to post to see if anybody else was having similar issues.

Reaction score
I have a 16 GB GXT flash drive & a NBEX 160 GB USB HD that both cause the same problems as yours.

I really don't know what the problem is, since all your specs match up with the Win 7 Hardware Compatibilty list. So I'll just take a shot in the dark; Did you get all 3 updates for your Motherboard's Chipset ?

Reaction score
i found that the new avg 9.0 makes windows 7 freeze try the older version.i uninstalled the went back to the older version.make sure your driver for your viedo card are up to date with windows 7 not vista or xp

Reaction score
I to am having problems with windows freezing.

My story is similar to many others. After I did a clean install of Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, everything seemed to work fine. Windows 7 was fast and snappy, all drives were recognized and I had a huge smile on my face. Then the updates began rolling in and the HP 1320 driver for my printer was the first to freeze windows 7 and cause problems. I uninstalled the driver and continued. The next update to cause problems was the Itunes update. I then uninstalled Itunes and went with media player.

After going a day without problems, they all began rolling in again. This time I am having a tough time getting my computer to post. I boot up my system, and it freezes at the motherboard startup screen and does not move. Here are my system specs.
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
E8400 no overclock
GTX 260
120 gig SSD Transcend (boot drive)
WD 640 caviar black (backup drive)

I unplugged my backup hard drive and my system booted. I then shut down my computer plugged in the backup hard drive, and my system booted like nothing happened. Now every other time I shut down my computer it freezes at the motherboard startup screen and will not proceed.

I just flashed my bios, and I've updated every driver. I'll reply back and let everybody know if anything was solved. I just wanted to post to see if anybody else was having similar issues.
Just a quick amendment...... I am running Kaspersky and after I installed that program I did also start having issues with windows 7. Also, I have not flashed my Samsung DVD burners with updated firmware. I'm wondering if that could be a problem?

Reaction score
I just installed Windows 7 and it freezes too. Here are my specs :

Windows 7 Pro RTM
CPU : Intel Core I5
GPU : BFG Nvidia 8800GT
4gb DDR 3 1600mhz
G5 Wired
Corsair 650W PSU

I've changed my settings to higher performance and i havent got a freeze for 35 minutes. I had 3 in the previous hour. Since my components are all new except my video card, ill try to make sure they aren't the problem.

By the way, thanks for your help Ripose. Your post on page 6 is pretty useful.
Well i have no idea what's the problem because i had a blue screen of death after posting this and Win7 still freezes.

Reaction score
I had a chat with MS Support they said Kaspersky definitely causes problems.
Use MS Security Essentials if you want a problem free anti-virus package (it's free).

What motherboard do you have? If it's an Intel chipset there may be as many as 3 driver updates for it.

Reaction score
Just a quick amendment...... I am running Kaspersky and after I installed that program I did also start having issues with windows 7. Also, I have not flashed my Samsung DVD burners with updated firmware. I'm wondering if that could be a problem?
I found what seems to be the problem. I guess there was a problem with my gigabyte board and windows 7. I checked gigabyte's website and a new driver was released on Oct. 26th. I installed the Sata II driver found here: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/...?ProductID=2919&ost=windows+7+64bit#anchor_os

and I haven't had any problems, and all of my drives are working like a charm. Kapersky doesn't seem to be having any problems right now. If anybody else has a gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P, try downloading the Sata II drive and hopefully that works.

Thanks to everybody that responded.

Reaction score
If anybody else has a gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
There maybe other updates not just for this board. I would encourage anyone that has problems to keep checking for updates from your Manufacturer.

Reaction score
Of course Clifford is correct, and don't forget; if your hardware is on the Microsoft Hardware Compatibility List, it only applies if you have ALL updates in place, not just the ones from Microsoft.

Reaction score
Windows 7 Freezing randomly its a very mind bogling thing this happen with me many times. After serching for many days in google and many windows 7 blogs. I find the solution that help me and my friend too. So hoping that it will help you guys too.
First go to control panel--system and security-Action center--Troubleshooting--system and security--power and then click next and then apply the fix in the 1st option it will show power plan set to high performance then close the trobleshooter. Its the fix that works for me and my friends. Now just make sure that your power plan set to High prformance. For that again go to control panel--system and security and if it is in balance set it to high performance due to administritive right it might not set to high performance for the first time. Friends If my fix works Pls let me know in my number +919475091410 (e-mail address removed).

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I checked gigabyte's website and a new driver was released on Oct. 26th
Those drivers are the LAN and audio drivers, the SATA Raid drivers are from 2008.

I have a Gigabyte EP-45 UD3R mobo and it works fine. Only difference is the extra LAN port on yours and the extra PCI-E graphics slot.

I installed the latest P45 chipset driver from Intel's website. It's dated 9-7-2009 v9.1.1.1019 Find it here.

Since you're not in a RAID setup, you don't need the RAID driver unless you have your drive set to AHCI mode in the BIOS.

Reaction score
Hey,
for me it worked to set Services -> Windows Search -> Starting type to [manual].

Good luck!
Sincerely

Ask a Question