go to power options and select high performance
try if that works
it worked on my 32bit win7rc

Reaction score
try doing this
go to power options and select high performance
try if that works
it worked on my 32bit win7rc
also tried doing the high performance power setting, didnt work either...
Already tried that =(
I looked at some forums, and apparently my ram is not supported by my mobo, so that might be the issue.
i am going to go to frys today and return that ram. and pick up some new one while i wait for my real ram to get here from amazon.

thanks, ill repost.

Reaction score
I found that if you are using webroot for your anti-spyware and anti-virus your system will lock up all the time. Uninstall webroot, and install Kaspersky. This should fix the freezing problems. And Kaspersky is a better anti-spyware and anti-virus program anyway.

Reaction score
This may sound like the most basic and lame reasons why your 64-bit Win7 RC continues to freeze up during or just after boot, or randomly there-after. It has been bothering me for a while until I had a friend come over and triple check everything with me. Here's what we found:

The mobo has dual-channel RAM abilities and was using it. The problem is that I was using three ram sticks (in four slots; all the same type of chip). Dualchannel does not like this. It specifically says to use even number of idential ram chips, filling up the same channels before going to the next (meaning, in my case, fill up channal A, or channel B, but not one from each).

So, we removed the lone RAM chip from Channel B, leaving me with two chips in Channel A (one in each of the slots), and the computer has been running flawlessly. I'm down to 4gb of RAM until I can go out and buy another identical ram chip, but that's not really an issue right now.

My setup, installed RIGHT NOW and stable (if it helps)
GIGABYTE MOBO: EP45T-UD3LF
Intel Q9550 Core 2 Quad - stock @ 2.83Ghz
4GB RAM KVR1333D3 (cheapo, I know)******
XFX GTX260 Graphics Card
2x WD 1TB HDD @ 7200rpm

Read up on Dual Channel RAM technology and how you should install it.

Like I said, this is such a rookie mistake and I'm not sure how I overlooked it, but I did. I hope no one comes across the same stupid problem as me. I'm just glad I didn't have any busted hardware or have any complex software issues.

Reaction score
When hell freezes over? Ups its here!!!

Hi

New user to this forum here.
I have been looking for this post since Windows 7 came out, even before when i tried using Vista.

Vista Sucks!!! hope most of you agree!!

Windows 7 -- I would say a great master peace for a first draft, needs some work, but not alot, very stable, more user friendly, definitly improves performance of a machine!

BUT....

I have mostly the same problem. Windows 7 freezes completly, no matter how mutch time its working. Can work 1 minute, 10 or even afew hours, or even freeze when its booting up.

Its definitly a driver conflict problem. But from what i have read here, its mostly comun with Asus hardware present in the computer.

My computer:

Motherboard: Asus P4S800D-X - Not a bat piece of crap!
Graphics: Asus ATI Radeon AH3650 512mb - Excelent pieace of crap, runs everything.... most recent game played, Guitar hero World tour and Prototype.
Memory: 2Gb DDR - ram 400mghz
Processor: Intel 3.000 Ghz
Sound card: Creative SoundBlaster Live 5.1 --- The crapiest peace in my computer.

And until now i have been running with fully updates windows XP, And i have been running everything i throw at it... From design programs, Autocad 2009, 3D Studio 2009, to hard demanding games, Prototype, Grid, Bioshoc, X3.... etc...
Of coars not with full graphics cause my CPU cant keep up with my Graphics Card... Obviously!!!!!

To pin point my problems.... on the freezing part!!
Tried to follow all you's solutions, updated evety power management drive, grafics drive.... you name it...

Got to a point of some stability.... the computer doesnt freeze as mutch....
But one major Freeze still happens.

When i play a game or demande more work from my pc like graphical movement or animation, like games, movies, stuff like that.... There it is Here comes Mr. Freeze and no Batman in sight!!!!!!

Fixable problem? YES.... Pressure on the hardware makers to update every peace of hardware drivers, at least since the Pentium 4 series!!

Hope you'all have enjoyed my little story!!!
Hope there will be more insight to this matter!!!

Thank you all.
For direct contact: (e-mail address removed) on msn.

Reaction score
I have found a solution to my problem.
For me it was not a software issue (NOT Win 7) it was a combination of hardware.

Someone told me:
"Ok the 7800 GTX is still supported, although driver updates to help with that card (bugs, ect) where stopped about this time last year. Does your friend happen to have 4GB or more in his system?, if the answer is yes, im afraid its a driver issue, under windows, you cant have a 7800 GTX and 4GB+ of system memory with another video card, the NVIDIA driver will puke all over itself, this is a known bug, and as it is a old card there are no plans to correct it.

So best bet, get a cheap GeForce 8 8600 GT (or better), to solve this problem, any 8/9/GTS/GTX series card wont have this problem, I recommedned at least a GeForce 8 8600 GT beacause the 8600 GT is as powerful as a 7800 GTX ."

Which its true in my case because my computer started acting up after i upgraded to 64bit from 32bit (which only allows 3 gigs of ram).

Goodluck out there !

Reaction score
New user to this forum as well.

I've been using, or rather testing, Windows 7 since the Beta came out. I used both x86 and 64bit RC1 versions and both x86 and 64bit RTM versions.

The Beta and RC1 versions were installed on my old AMD PC. The specs were the following

Mobo: Asus M2N32 WS Professional
CPU: AMD Athlon64 x2 4000+ @ 3.12GHz
RAM: OCZ DDR2-800 2x2GB
GPU: XFX 8800GT AlphaDog Edition.
HDD: Caviar Blue 640GB & 2x Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB

On this system with all the version I installed on I had no problem at all. I was so please by the performance I decided to have my MediaCenter machine and my gaming machine with Windows 7 so I waited for the RTM version to come out!

About a month ago I bought a few new parts and changed the configuration on both my gaming rig and on the media centre so it was perfect time to format those machines and have them both with Windows 7. The configuration of the machines are bellow.

Media:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P
CPU: AMD Phenom x3 720
RAM: Kingston DDR3-1333 2x1GB
GPU: Sapphire HD4770
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 640GB

Gaming:
Mobo: MSI P55-GD65
CPU: Intel Core i7 860
RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 CL8 2x2GB
GPU: 2x XFX 8800GT AlphaDog Edition in SLI
HDD: 2x WD RE2 750 in RAID 0 & WD Caviar Black 1TB

The Media PC has the x86 Windows 7 Professional RTM and the Gaming rig has the 64bit variant. These two system are unstable like hell with no reason to be! Both Machines will freeze with no reason at all. I stressed test both machines with more than one program for more than an hour and had no problem, but when doing everyday tasks the whole thing would freeze and I have to reset it! Sometimes this happened an hour after start-up, sometimes even days. One thing is for sure, I rarely get the chance to properly shut-down these machines.

These machines have nothing in common besides Windows 7, yet they have exactly the same problems! If anyone has ever seen anything like that please let me know!

Reaction score
I have an Asus Z99S series laptop and it started freezing as others have described. I changed the power settings but this didn't help me so I then downloaded the latest driver for the ATI Mobility Radeon HD2400 graphics card and the problem has been solved.

Reaction score
I´m relieved that I´m not alone with this problem. I’m currently running W7 RC x64 and have had this problem since I bought new computer parts and installed w7 x64. Before I had Vista x86 and then W7 x86 without any problem. But since I wanted to use my computer to its fullest potential I needed x64.
I have an ATI Radeon HD 4890 and an Asus motherboard and I´ve been working to update all my hardware drives. I think I will get Drive Robot soon.
It´s quite weird that I´ve almost never gotten this problem while I´ve played games. The freezes occur while I watch videos, surf the net or chatting on MSN.
But my Windows 7 should arrive with the mail this week since the release is tomorrow. So hopefully this problem will not follow me.

Reaction score
I am looking forward to receiving my copy of Windows7 but I see from my account details at Amazon it was supposed to be sent today but it has yet to be dispatched. Hopefully there will not be too much of a delay due to the postal strike.

Reaction score
Blimey, that was quick. Received my copy on Saturday. Installation went well but the freezing started again. I installed the latest ATI driver and it cured it. I also noticed that one of the additional drivers offered on the update page was an ATI Radeon Mobility HD2400.

Reaction score
Bummer!...

I am looking forward to receiving my copy of Windows7 but I see from my account details at Amazon it was supposed to be sent today but it has yet to be dispatched. Hopefully there will not be too much of a delay due to the postal strike.
Sad to say; it may still be broke. I received my copy (Home Premium) and did a clean install which was an option but I'm having occassional hard lockups. It may be associated with my external drives (esata and usb). Usually happens when I'm navigating back and forth with explorer. When I finish with an esata drive and disconnect it, explorer still shows the drive and then won't recognize the next one I plug in.... ack! I'm pretty sure it's a Win7 problem though, because when I xfer a large image file from my esata drive it starts out at over 100mb/s then slows over time to less than 2mb/s and just never finishes; BUT after I cancel the xfer (which seems to never really cancel) I can check the target drive and find the image file there..... This is rather strange because I don't remember having this issue with Vista or the beta Win7. I'm using a XFX 750i m/b SLI 8800GT's and RAID 0 Raptors, E8400 and 4GB DDR2. I still have Vista on the other hd so I may see what version of display ddriver I have there and try that one.

So far Vista appears to be the most stable choice.... hope this changes!

Reaction score
Same problem

Hello guys i have been watching this forum for a long time, I have the same problem as all of you. I tried almost everything always installing new drivers, disabeling windows backup, settings for best performance, trying adjust my bios and so on and nothing helps. Even now I am waiting when my system freezes, it would only stay still and I cannot move my mouse or type all I can do is restart. And I am almost sure that the problem is in Windows because I use WinXP as a first system with no problems and I used Win Vista with no problems too.

My computer:
Windows 7 rtm 64bit (everything updated)
Gigabyte X38 DS4 mainboard
Intel Core2duo E8400 (not overclocked)
Nvidia Leadtek 8800 GTS 512mb
4x1GB Patriot 800Mhz low latency CL4 at 2.1V
Sound card (quite unusual) Audigy 2 platinumEX
using my build in Realtek GBE network card

Reaction score
Hmm, just got and installed Win 7 home premium. Still the same problem. It even freezed during install.

Reaction score
Alright my turn to tell my story..

I've got W7 Pro x64 RTM (only OS) from MSDNAA through my school and I've been having the same problems as everyone else here.. I did find a temporary solution, since I generally only use my computer for short bursts of time, and put it to sleep manually as soon as I'm finished, and I can sometime get away without having a freeze for two or three days. Other times it will freeze just as I'm bringing it out of it's slumber, so I don't quite know what to do.

My system:
W7 Pro x64 RTM
Asus G50VT-X1
Nvidia 9800M GS
Core 2 Duo P8600 @ 2.26 GHz
4g DDR2 @ 800 MHz
Razer Copperhead

Reaction score
Ok here is everything I have found so far:
I did a clean install and followed the below, my system no longer freezes. ANY/ALL/NONE may work for you!

1) ALL USB devices MUST be USB 2 - If they are not random freezing will occur.

2) MANY hardware vendors have NOT produced Win 7 driver, software or firmware updates. You must be running Internet Explorer to view this DEVICES & SYSTEMS compatibility list.

3) Check for Win 7 updates for ALL software you have installed - Make sure you get the the right one for either 32 or 64 bit.

4) Disable both settings (select Do Nothing) for "What do power buttons do" in Control Panel.

5) To isolate Video Card problems enter BIOS and switch to OnBoard Video, if freezing quits you know you need to update video card drivers or in the worst case, buy a new video card.

6) In BIOS Suspend should be set to S1&S3.

7) Older hardware is probably not ACPI (power related) compliant, they will cause problems with sleep mode. Unplug OLD hardware to see if freezing quits.

8) Upgrade your BIOS to latest version.

** Caution** Changing the wrong setting in BIOS may MAKE YOUR COMPUTER UNUSABLE !!!

Reaction score
I got the same problem with my Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo 3540.
It happened when I use browser (in my case : chrome).

All drivers are uptodate (even though still not officially supported by the vendor for Windows 7), except the Network Adapter and BIOS.

Ask a Question